This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0952 / 52°5'42"N
Longitude: -1.5888 / 1°35'19"W
OS Eastings: 428263
OS Northings: 244177
OS Grid: SP282441
Mapcode National: GBR 5PG.M3F
Mapcode Global: VHBYG.DLXN
Entry Name: Church of Saint James the Great
Listing Date: 13 October 1966
Last Amended: 30 June 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1024344
English Heritage Legacy ID: 305919
Location: Idlicote, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, CV36
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Idlicote St James the Great
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
8/156 Church of Saint James the
(Formerly listed as Parish
Church of St. James the Great)
Church. C13-C14. Late C17 south chapel. Chancel: regular coursed blocks of
ironstone. Red tile roof. Stone coped gable. Nave: irregular coursed ironstone
rubble and coursed ironstone rubble. Stone coped gable. Wood shingled
bell-turret with weathervane dated 1707 and clock on north face. South side of
nave ironstone banded with limestone. Chapel: ashlar ironstone, tiled roof,
stone coped gable. Chancel, nave, north porch, south chapel, south aisle. South
sided nave has a lancet with lead cames; pointed arched doorway with chamfered
jambs, hood mould, label stop and plank door; 2 lancets to right and a 2-light
stone-mullioned and transomed window. North side of nave: C19 gabled north
porch; Romanesque north doorway of c.1200 has panelled door. To left of porch a
2-light sandstone Decorated window with cusped head and lead cames. Right end of
nave has a 4-light stone-mullioned window to ground floor with hood mould and
label stops, lead cames, bars and wrought-iron casement fasteners. Above to
gallery 2 pointed arched windows with Gothick glazing. Chancel east window of 3
lights with cusped heads and hood moulds. South chapel: end wall to left has
pointed arched doorway with plank door, and hood mould. Angle buttresses. A
3-light Perpendicular window. Right end has a 3-light Perpendicular window. Both
have hood moulds and label stops. Interior: C13 chancel arch. C14 nave roof of 2
bays with hammerbeam truss, collar beam and curved braces. Piscina with cusped
head. South aisle has 2-bay arcade of late C13 or early C14. Octagonal piers.
C17 chapel divided from chancel by 2-bay arcade of Tuscan column and 2 arches.
Jacobean screen, C18 altar rails. Large box pew for manorial family. Most pews
C17. 3-decker C17 pulpit with tester. C17 west gallery with solid wood treads to
staircase. Plain cylindrical font with C17 front cover with ogee shaped diamond
studded ribs. Chapel has C17 altar rails, C19 wall memorials to members of the
Peach and Peach Keighley families. Another wall monument to Heneage Legge
MDCCLIX. On east wall of chapel the carved and painted arms of the Underhill
family. North wall of nave; medieval wall painting. C17 chapel added as a
mortuary chapel for the Underhill family of Idlicote House (q.v.).
(Buildings of England: Warwickshire, 1981, p.316; V.C.H.: Warwickshire, 1949,
Listing NGR: SP2826344177
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings