History in Structure

Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!

Church of St Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in Stalisfield, Kent

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2372 / 51°14'13"N

Longitude: 0.8169 / 0°49'0"E

OS Eastings: 596738

OS Northings: 152434

OS Grid: TQ967524

Mapcode National: GBR RVN.9CZ

Mapcode Global: VHKK7.35QF

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Location: Stalisfield, Swale, Kent, ME13

County: Kent

District: Swale

Parish: Stalisfield

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Listing Date: 24 January 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

English Heritage Legacy ID: 176527

Source ID: 1025295

Listing Text

TQ 95 SE STALISFIELD CHURCH ROAD
(east side)

6/121 Church of
St. Mary

24.1.67 II*

Parish church. C13 and restored 1904. Flint and sandstone with
plain tiled roof. Chancel with south chapel, nave with aisles,
north tower. Exterior heavily restored, tower topped by weather
vane dated 1904, over a wooden belfry with tiled roof.- Three
light C15 east window, otherwise C19 fenestration. Double
chamfered west doorway. Interior: nave arcades of 2 bays, on
square piers with chamfered corners and trefoiled archlet to
heavy moulded abaci, Roof of 3 tall crown posts. Single
chamfered arch on imposts from chancel to chapel and blocked
arch to demolished north chapel. Double chamfered chancel arch.
Fittings: trefoil headed piscina in chancel. Rood screen:C15
perpendicular. Five bays, each with four-light traceried openings-
with crenellated oblique transoms. Vine motif frieze above blank
tracery on lower panels, with angels, eagles and roses in
spandrels. Attached shafts support frieze of Tudor flowers with
renewed cove. C13 font on 5 shafts with 4 blank arches on each
side of bowl. Royal coat of arms (obscured at time of survey)
carved in high relief on nave south wall. (See B.O.E. Kent II,
1983, 465 and illus. 65.)


Listing NGR: TQ9673852434

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.