Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8336 / 50°50'0"N
Longitude: -0.8052 / 0°48'18"W
OS Eastings: 484235
OS Northings: 104465
OS Grid: SU842044
Mapcode National: GBR DGR.M83
Mapcode Global: FRA 966W.N49
Entry Name: Church of St Peter and St Mary
Location: Fishbourne, Chichester, West Sussex, PO20
County: West Sussex
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex
Listing Date: 5 July 1950
Last Amended: 8 October 1971
Source: Historic England
English Heritage Legacy ID: 299796
Source ID: 1026828
593/16/412 APPELDRAM LANE
05-JUL-50 CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST MARY
(Formerly listed as:
NEW FISHBOURNE CHURCH (ST PETER AND ST
Church sited close the manor house and farmland, off the Fishbourne by-pass. C13 origins to the chancel; walling of the E end of the N aisle (N transept designed by G Draper (Pevsner)) 1821; remainder of aisle walling, roofs and arcades 1847; 1973 choir vestry, storeroom, and lavatory block. The chancel is plastered and colourwashed with exposed freestone quoins. The former N transept has a stuccoed N wall and pebbledashed E Wall, the rest of the church is flint with red tiled roofs and stone slate eaves to the S aisle. Weatherboarded bell turret; snecked stone to the 1973 addition.
PLAN: Chancel, 3-bay N & S aisles (E end of N aisle former transept and partly screened off as a vestry; W end bell turret; large 1973 N extension replacing the N porch.
EXTERIOR: The chancel N & S walls have 2 lancets each. The E lancet on the S side appears to be wholly medieval, the others appear to have been partly rebuilt. 3-light E window with reticulated tracery. The W end features are C19. The nave has low clasping buttresses, a chamfered W doorway, a pair of lancets over and a sexafoil in the gable. The S aisle has 2-light 1847 windows with reticulated tracery to the E & W; 3 trefoil-headed lancets to the S side. The N aisle has a 2-light plate traceried W window and a 2-light Decorated style E window. Weatherboarded bellcote with pyramidal tiled roof.
INTERIOR: Timber chancel arch on moulded stone corbels. The chancel has an uneven plastered vaulted roof. Medieval timbers may survive behind the plaster. The 1847 S arcade has double-chamfered arches on cylindrical piers with capitals carved with stiff-leaf. The N arcade, added afterwards (Blakeney, 1), has double-chamfered arches on cylindrical piers with moulded capitals. Canted, plastered nave ceiling, except for an open collar rafter roof in the W bay supporting the bell turret. The W end of the N aisle is also an open, the rest if the asile plastered. The S aisle has an open arch braced roof, plastered behind the rafters. C20 gabled timber reredos with blind tracery. The E wall of the chancel is panelled on either side with C19 commandments boards over. Polygonal timber pulpit, post 1945 (Blakeney, 2) on a timber stem. The pulpit is carved with panels of stiff-leaf foliage. C.1847 font with an octagonal stone bowl with carved decoration on an octagonal stem. The chancel fittings include 2 elaborately carved C17 benches with shaped ends and dividers carved with ramshorns. Nave benches said to be 1887 (Blakeney, 2) are square-headed and curved shoulders. In the S aisle the benches have a different design with concave shoulders. C20 screen at the E end of the N aisle to form vestry. Stained glass included brightly-coloured remains of simple design, probably 1821 and a fragment, probably C17 Flemish. Several C19 brass wall plaques.
HISTORICAL NOTE: The church guide includes a copy of an 1804 image, which shows the E window as square-headed.
A church with a medieval chancel, possibly with surviving medieval roof, the remainder thoroughly rebuilt in several C19 phases, none outstanding.
Pevsner, Sussex, 1965, 224
Blakeney, R., Guide to the Church and Parish of St Peter and St Mary, New Fishbourne, n.d.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings