Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2223 / 51°13'20"N
Longitude: -0.6652 / 0°39'54"W
OS Eastings: 493308
OS Northings: 147861
OS Grid: SU933478
Mapcode National: GBR FCM.6NB
Mapcode Global: VHFVL.FJ5T
Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist
Location: Puttenham, Guildford, Surrey, GU3
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Listing Date: 14 June 1967
Source: Historic England
English Heritage Legacy ID: 288159
Source ID: 1029601
SU 94 NW PUTTENHAM C.P. THE STREET
8/95 Church of
14.6.67 St.John the Baptist
Church. C12 arcade and door, C13 nave and chancel with C14 south transept,
C15 tower, vestry rebuilt in 1770; all restored in 1861 by H. Woodyer and
1868 by Charles Kerry. Sandstone rubble with chalk dressing, partly
replaced with Bath stone, red brick quoins to tower. Red and blue brick
chapel to north on stone plinth with rendered chancel to east. Plain tiled
roofs, pyramidal over tower. Nave with north aisle and porch to south,
chancel to east with vestry (former Lady Chapel) to north, organ loft to
south and tower to west end. Square tower with stair-vice to south east
angle, diagonal offset buttresses to west end. 3 stages with tiled plinth
and rendered parapet. Double arched, louvred, openings to each face on
top stage. Large C19 window to west. Double ribbed doors below on west end.
Most windows replaced in C19, 3 triangular stone dormers in north side of
nave. 2, arched, leaded casement windows in vestry, windows to south mixed
Decorated and Rectilinear with stone tracery. Gabled porch to south with
outer glazed doors, inner wood door. Further door to north.
Interior: stone floors, 4 bay nave arcade to north, circa 1160, round pier
with square scalloped capitals and and unchamfered arches with crimped
plasterwork surrounds. Bases of piers rise from bay to bay towards west.
South doorway circa 1170. Round arched with deep moulding and keeling. Chancel
arch, circa 1200 with simple imposts and pointed arched surround, chamfered
inner order. Two bay chancel with unmoulded arches. C14 cambered tie beams to
roof. C20 fittings, part Gothic, part classical by Randoll Blacking in 1936.
Octagonal stone font with trefoil panels and inches.
Monuments: some early C19 white stone wall tablets by local mason.
PEVSNER: BUILDINGS OF ENGLAND, SURREY (1971) pp 417-8.
V.C.H. SURREY. VOL III pp 52-8.
Listing NGR: SU9330847861
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings