Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.2981 / 52°17'53"N
Longitude: 0.8287 / 0°49'43"E
OS Eastings: 592982
OS Northings: 270435
OS Grid: TL929704
Mapcode National: GBR RFQ.SFL
Mapcode Global: VHKD0.9HZL
Entry Name: Ixworth Abbey
Location: Ixworth, St. Edmundsbury, Suffolk, IP31
District: St. Edmundsbury
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Listing Date: 14 July 1955
Last Amended: 11 July 1983
Source: Historic England
English Heritage Legacy ID: 283579
Source ID: 1031475
TL 9270-9370 IXWORTH
(formerly listed as Abbey, with
Monastic remains in grounds)
A Priory of Augustinian Canons, partly demolished after the Dissolution: the
remainder converted to domestic use. Founded by Gilbert de Blund in 1170. Part
1 1/2 storeys, part 2, part 2 storeys and attics: complex, irregular form.
Various materials: freestone, flint, red and white brick, timber-framing,
plaster. Plaintiled roofs. The principal (north) front, faced in mid-to-late
C18 brick, is in 2 sections. The eastern half, 11/2 storeys, has a plain
parapet, rising to a rounded arch over the entry. Range of 4 early C19 small-
paned sash windows, set into earlier openings with segmental arched heads: one
has heraldic glass of the Cartwright and Norton families, put in c.1890. High
8-panel door with raised fielded panels: doorcase with fluted Tuscan pilasters
and metope frieze. Along rear wall, 2 long late C17 sash windows with thick,
ovolo-moulded glazing bars. This range of the building was added in the late
C17, and the interior contains some fine original fittings: 3-sided open newel
stair with twisted balusters, entrance archway to undercroft with heavily
rusticated and ornamented architrave, and a panelled upper room with coved
ceiling, and fireplace flanked by pilasters with composite capitals, the
western half of the front stands forward, making the whole facade L-shaped.
2 storeys, Roof with 2 hipped gables to north. 5 windows: small-paned sashes in
deep reveals, both windows and openings with segmental arched heads, 3 openings
blocked, with painted windows. Central 6-panelled door: raised fielded panels,
rectangular traceried fanlight, and doorcase with fluted pilasters and flat
pediment supported on carved console brackets. Return front on east is
plastered, with wooden dentil cornice: 3 plain stone-faced buttresses to ground
storey. 3 3-light Regency Gothic windows with heraldic glazing of 1841, 4
small-paned sash windows in flush frames to upper storey. This part of the
house contains the truncated remains of the south range of the Priory and the
whole of the east (dorter) range, apart from the Chapter House. Early C13
undercroft in 3 double bays: 2 octagonal piers suporting roof of groined
vaulting. Slype at north end, aligned east-west: 3 bays of more finely-
finished vaulting. Separate room at south end: 2 double bays with supporting
central pier and fireplace on north wall. The room above has late C17 sash
windows and is lined with re-used Jacobean panelling. In the upper part of the
original west wall (now within the building) one early C13 lancet window with
deep splay lined with original plaster: simulated stone jointing in red ochre.
No trace of the west range remains. The late Cl5 red brick Abbot's lodging, in
the south-east angle between the dorter range and the late C17 wing, possibly
modernised in later C16, has a good moulded ceiling to ground floor hall.
Attached at the south-east angle, an outbuilding in brick and flint with
plaintiled roof forms one side of a 3-sided rear courtyard: roof surmounted by
a timber cupola with clock and bell: octagonal turret with 8 supporting
columns, conical roof with finial.
Listing NGR: TL9298270435
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings