History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Weston Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Weston, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.4284 / 52°25'42"N

Longitude: 1.5669 / 1°34'0"E

OS Eastings: 642590

OS Northings: 287143

OS Grid: TM425871

Mapcode National: GBR XMS.LZG

Mapcode Global: VHM6R.37Q7

Entry Name: Weston Hall

Listing Date: 1 September 1953

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1032008

English Heritage Legacy ID: 282201

Location: Weston, Waveney, Suffolk, NR34

County: Suffolk

District: Waveney

Parish: Weston

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Ellough and Weston St Peter

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Listing Text

WESTON LONDON ROAD
TM 48 NW
5/50 Weston Hall
1-9-53
GV II*
A fragment of a mansion. Late C16, probably for John Rede (d.1605); largely
demolished 1821 following a fire. The house had an E-shape plan: what
survives is the south wing and one bay of the centre range, together with a
late C18/early C19 rear wing. Red brick with a brick dentil eaves cornice.
The roof is mainly plaintiled but the later wing is pantiled. 2 storeys and
attics. The gable end of the wing is crowstepped, with octagonal corner
buttresses surmounted by moulded brick finials. This gable end has original
mullion and transom windows of 5,4 and 3 lights in diminishing size upwards;
the windows are stuccoed, with rusticated stucco surrounds and triangular
pediments. The inner return of this wing and the centre range have similar
ground floor windows of 5 and 6 lights respectively; the upper windows have
been blocked but parts of the stucco surrounds remain. One hipped plastered
dormer with a circular window with leaded glass. The wing has an external
stack with 2 octagonal flues on moulded bases. Various sash windows to rear,
with some evidence for original window openings. Against the rear wall is a
second original stack with 3 octagonal flues. Mid C20 entrance door in
rebuilt gable end to right. The interior has been modernised.


Listing NGR: TM4259087143

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.