This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.3225 / 52°19'20"N
Longitude: 1.3336 / 1°20'0"E
OS Eastings: 627275
OS Northings: 274605
OS Grid: TM272746
Mapcode National: GBR WMH.7ZM
Mapcode Global: VHL9K.2WCH
Entry Name: Ufford Hall
Listing Date: 29 July 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1032930
English Heritage Legacy ID: 279983
Location: Fressingfield, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP21
District: Mid Suffolk
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Fressingfield St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
FRESSINGFIELD LAXFIELD ROAD
TM 27 SE
- Ufford Hall
Manor farmhouse. Late C16 with probably C15 core. Timber framed and
plastered with a plaintiled roof. 2 storeys and attics. A main range with
flanking short cross-wings; the parlour wing projects further to the north
where attached to it is the stair wing. Many mullioned and mullion and
transom windows with cavetto moulding, a mixture of originals and good
reproduction work of early C20 date; diamond-leaded glass. Some C18 casement
windows. To the north a C20 doorway with arched head and plank entrance door.
Adjacent, over an earlier position of the dorway, a spread eagle or phoenix in
plaster, probably of C20 date. Masssive square axial stack between hall and
parlour wing. Against the south wall of the hall range a C17 external stack
with tall shaft. The hall range incorporates a medieval core which has been
raised about 1.3m. Inserted cross-beamed ceiling with ornate stop-chamfers to
the joists and cornice. The parlour has a cross-beamed ceiling with ovolo
moulding, stylised Fleur-de-lys stops and panelled soffits; the parlour
chamber and 2 hall chambers have similar ceilings. Much good exposed studding.
Fine late C16 dog-leg stair with turned balusters and newel posts with ball
finials. Back-to-back stuccoed fireplaces on both floors. Archbishop Sancroft
(1617-1693) was born here and lived here from 1690 until his death. Remains
of medieval moat. Sandon, Suffolk Houses, 1977, pp.175-7.
Listing NGR: TM2727574605
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings