This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.2834 / 52°17'0"N
Longitude: -1.2249 / 1°13'29"W
OS Eastings: 452971
OS Northings: 265312
OS Grid: SP529653
Mapcode National: GBR 8RL.WML
Mapcode Global: VHCV4.QV9X
Entry Name: Church of St Peter and Attached Mausoleum
Listing Date: 6 October 1960
Last Amended: 3 July 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1034927
English Heritage Legacy ID: 308762
Location: Wolfhampcote, Rugby, Warwickshire, CV23
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Flecknoe St Mark
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
Church of St. Peter and
06/10/60 attached mausoleum
(Formerly listed as Church of
St. Peter (disused))
Church and attached mausoleum. C13; north aisle and north chapel late C13.
Chancel, south aisle and porch C14. Nave west end rebuilt, clerestory added and
upper part of tower altered or rebuilt late C15. Chancel restored c.1848.
Chancel of limestone ashlar. Tower, west end and south clerestory of regular
coursed sandstone. North clerestory, aisles and porch of squared coursed
sandstone rubble. Chancel and porch have old tile roof; other roofs not visible.
Coped gable parapets. Aisled nave, chancel, north chapel, north-west tower and
south porch. 2-bay chancel, 3-bay nave. Chancel has C18/C19 sandstone diagonal
buttresses, each with 2 cinqfoiled gablets. C19 five-light Perpendicular east
window with hood mould. C19 cross finial. C19 south doorway has chamfered
4-centred surround and ribbed door. Renewed 2-light and 3-light straight-headed
Decorated windows have tracery of limestone and sandstone, and hood moulds.
South aisle has south-east diagonal buttress of 2 offsets, and south and
south-west buttresses. Porch has doorway of 2 moulded orders with hood mould and
ribbed double-leaf doors. Blocked east and west lancets. East and 2 south
windows have reticulated tracery. 2-bay clerestory has straight-headed 2-light
Decorated windows to north and south, some with hood moulds. Moulded and coped
parapet. North aisle and chapel in one. 4 bays. Splayed plinth. North-east
diagonal buttress of 4 offsets, and 2 north buttresses of 2 offsets. 3-light C19
east window has geometrical tracery. 3-light north windows, probably altered
C17, have part-moulded arches with mullions but no tracery. Nave has west
buttress of 3 offsets. 4-light Perpendicular west window has remains of head
stops. Tower of 2 stages. Diagonal buttress of 6 offsets. West lancet has hood
mould. Bricked-up lancet slits to west and north. Moulded string course
continued round nave gable parapet. Upper stage has paired lancet openings with
continuous hood moulds, bricked up but with vents. Embattled parapet. Interior
is plastered. Chancel has 2-bay arcade to north chapel of 2 chamfered orders
with hood mould, octagonal pier and semi-circular imposts with moulded capitals.
4-bay crown post roof, possibly C14, has wavy struts and braces and wind braces,
and chamfered tie beams. Octagonal piers and half-octagonal responds throughout.
Chancel arch of 2 orders, the outer continuous, the inner on moulded imposts and
head corbels. Nave has 2-bay north arcade similar to chancel, but with
continuous outer order. Part of a third arch to the west, interrupted by the
tower. C14 three-bay south arcade of 2 chamfered orders with moulded bases and
capitals. Late C15 Perpendicular roof has wall posts and stone corbels. North
chapel has ogee piscina. Aisle has C13 tower arch with simple chamfered imposts.
South aisle has simple piscina. Aisle and chapel have lean-to roofs. Fittings:
plain tub font, possibly C13. C14 oak chapel screen has shafts with shaft rings
and intersecting round arches with Decorated tracery. Late C17 altar rails have
barley sugar twist balusters and fielded newel posts with moulded caps.
Hexagonal pulpit of 1790 has moulded plinth and cornice with so,ae inlay. Some
C14 benches. Painted Royal arms of 1702 above chancel arch. Early C19 framed and
painted panels in north chapel, some with pious verses, others with inscriptions
to the Clarke family between 1601 and 1801. Monuments: chancel has early C19
wall monuments to the Tibbits family. Mausoleum of the Tibbits family attached
to east end of chancel. Late C18/early C19. Sandstone ashlar. Gothick style.
Diagonal buttresses with cinqfoiled gablets continued up as finials. East wall
has blind quatrefoil.
(V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol.6, pp.271-273; Buildings of England: Warwickshire,
Listing NGR: SP5297165312
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings