This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2575 / 51°15'26"N
Longitude: -1.5782 / 1°34'41"W
OS Eastings: 429529
OS Northings: 151007
OS Grid: SU295510
Mapcode National: GBR 60Q.3SP
Mapcode Global: VHC2J.LNJD
Entry Name: Biddesden House
Listing Date: 4 June 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1035997
English Heritage Legacy ID: 312435
Location: Ludgershall, Wiltshire, SP11
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Ludgershall St James
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
LUDGERSHALL BIDDESDEN LANE
SU 25 SE
9/227 Biddesden House
House in parkland. 1710-1711 for General John Richmond Webb
(?1667-1724), the architect unknown. Flemish bond brickwork with
stone dressings. Tiled roofs. Two storey, cellars and attics.
Main rectangular block with enclosed courtyard to rear, and rear
walled garden. C18 terraces to west of house. Main block has 2-
storey entrance hall centrally placed with large drawing room to
left and dining room to right. Stair off to rear of hall, and
domestic quarters to rear on right. South front of 7 bays, the 3
central bays set forward between pilasters, and attic floor above
cornice carrying a half-round pediment, flanked by sculptured
trophies. Standing coat of arms at centre. Central 10-panelled
door with fanlight in rusticated frame. Flat stone canopy on
consoles. To either side, 24-paned sashes with round heads, gauged
brick arches with stone key and springer blocks. First floor of
central block has 3 keyed oculi opening to hall, the top key
corniced. Sun Insurance fire mark. Bays 1, 2, 6 and 7 have 12-
paned sashes with similar round arches to both floors below
cornice, the cornice with an acanthus enriched frieze over centre.
Attic floor has 8-paned sashes in segmental headed openings, with
keyblocks. Parapet. Return elevation on right is of 7 bays,
altered to match, and terminating with a round brick corner tower
of 4 stages, with crenellated parapet, circular openings, and
windvane, containing a bell brought from the siege of Lille. Left
elevation, symmetrical of 7 bays, central half glazed door in
pedimented doorcase, and 12-paned sashes with round heads to both
main floors. Window paintings, one window on left elevation by
Dora Carrington, 1931 of cook, cat and canary. Similar paintings
of fashionable C18 persons on the two windows of right elevation by
Roland Pym 1935, restored 1950's. Library on left elevation built
over rear domestic quarters c1930, in completely matching style.
Interior: Entrance saloon has black and white stone floor.
Pedimented and architraved doors to dining and drawing rooms and
fireplace. Drawing room, extended to north in C20, fully panelled,
with fireplace with marble slips, all probably mid C18. Dining
room also panelled, as are many first floor rooms. Stair early
C18, oak, with shaped and carved handrail and 3 twisted balusters
to each step. Carved brackets under, and dado bolection panelling.
General Webb was a senior officer under Marlborough, fought at
Blenheim, 1703, Ramilles 1706, Oudenaarde 1708, Malplacquet 1709
and Wynendaele. The house built on his retirement, and his large
equestrian portrait of 1712 by J. Wootton hangs centrally in hall.
(Pevsner: Buildings of England: Wiltshire; Country Life)
Listing NGR: SU2952951007
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings