This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.376 / 55°22'33"N
Longitude: -1.821 / 1°49'15"W
OS Eastings: 411441
OS Northings: 609122
OS Grid: NU114091
Mapcode National: GBR H6Q8.KP
Mapcode Global: WHC1Q.044K
Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist
Listing Date: 31 December 1969
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1041990
English Heritage Legacy ID: 236453
Location: Edlingham, Northumberland, NE66
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Whittingham and Edlingham with Bolton Chapel
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
EDLINGHAM EDLINGHAM VILLAGE
NU 10 NW
14/114 Church of St.
John the Baptist
Parish Church. Nave probably mid-C11, partly rebuilt early C12; chancel later
C12; north arcade c.1190; tower c.1300; C14 south window and tomb recess in
nave; north aisle rebuilt C15; south porch probably C17; various C18 sash
windows, with wood tracery inserted at 1902 restoration; C19 vestry and 1864
Nave large roughly-squared stone with south-west quoins (perhaps re-used grave
stones) up to 2 metres long; other parts squared stone; cut dressings. Low-
pitched felted roofs to nave and chancel; other roofs Welsh slate. West tower;
nave with north aisle and vestry, south porch; chancel.
3-stage west tower has stepped chamfered plinth, band above plinth, and
chamfered set-back below squat belfry. Lower stage has small rebated lancet
on south only, the upper stages slatted chamfered loops except on east, which
shows weathering of old high-pitched roof. Low pyramidal roof. Gabled south
porch with chamfered plinth; round arch with keystone and chamfered imposts,
below small square window flanked by re-set head corbels. Stone benches and
barrel vault springing from chamfered band. C12 doorway has round arch with
bold roll moulding and billet hood, on jamb shafts with block capitals and
moulded bases; within arch is C17 doorway with flat-pointed head and sunk
spandrels, and vertical-panelled door. Above porch a chamfered loop; to
either side square-headed C18 windows and further east a pointed double-
chamfered C14 window arch, all with later wood tracery. North aisle has
blocked north door with chamfered pointed arch; and square-headed east window.
Chancel has C18 south window with pointed arch and raised stone surround; and
large Romanesque-style east window with round arch, zigzag, and jamb shafts.
Interior: Plastered. 4-bay north arcade of round arches with chamfered inner
and square outer orders. Round piers and semicircular responds have moulded
capitals with vertical lines of nail-head to imitate scallops, and moulded
bases with nail-head. Round C12 chancel arch, stepped towards nave, on
chamfered imposts carried back along east wall of nave; low stone screen has
central opening with chamfered and rebated jambs. South wall of nave shows
segmental-arched tomb recess, holding pre-Conquest cross fragment with vinescroll
and C14 cross slab, and remains of several blocked windows. C11 west front,
now within tower, shows centre door with slightly-recessed semicircular tympanum,
mutilated round-headed window above and circular opening in apex of former
gable. In north aisle a chamfered band below east window; and rear arch of
C12 west window above vestry door. Chancel has small piscina with pointed
moulded arch, and pointed recess further west.
Chancel roof has later boarding on grid of stop-chamfered tie-beams and
longitudinal members, probably C17. Early C20 tie-beam roof to nave. Fittings
mostly of similar date, except for balustraded communion rails of 1726.
Octagonal medieval font (inscribed '1701') on circular stepped base. Cll/C12
cross slab in aisle and C14 slab as threshold to south door. C18 wall monuments
and hatchments at west end of nave and east end of chancel; 1723 ledger stone
just inside south door. East window glass, 'The Sea Gave up the Dead which
were in it' to Lewis de Crespigny Buckle, who perished on the S.S. Nemesis.
Listing NGR: NU1144109122
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings