Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8724 / 50°52'20"N
Longitude: 0.0017 / 0°0'6"E
OS Eastings: 540935
OS Northings: 110005
OS Grid: TQ409100
Mapcode National: GBR KQ2.77W
Mapcode Global: FRA B6WS.QH1
Entry Name: Church of St Anne
Location: Lewes, Lewes, East Sussex, BN7
County: East Sussex
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex
Listing Date: 25 February 1952
Source: Historic England
English Heritage Legacy ID: 293480
Source ID: 1043687
TQ 4010 SE & TQ 4009 NE LEWES WESTERN ROAD
8/489 & 13/489 (south side)
Church of St Anne
Church. Early C12, late C12, C15, restored in 1889. Flint with stone quoins
and dressings, some of the flint coursed. Horsham slab roofs with some
replacement plain tiles. West tower, nave with south aisle and south chapel,
chancel. West tower of three stages separated by string-courses. Short spire
on pyramidal roof. Five-bay nave north wall with north porch, on which has
been reset the former C12 doorway. Triple-ordered arch with pair of columns
with cushion capitals and some chevron-moulding of arch. Simple staff-moulded
lancets to north wall, all 1889, as throughout the church. Three-bay south
wall, that to the east of the vestry. Cross-gabled chapel to the west with
paired C15-type windows in square surround. Chancel of three windows to north
and two to south. Separated triple lancet at east end. Interior: Two-bay
aisle to south with vestry to west and chapel to east. Arcade of late C12
on drum piers with square abaci. Stiff-leaf capitals with stiff-leaf corbels
at the corners. Pointed arches with chamfers except round-arched easternmost
bay, showing existence of earlier C12 transetal chapel. Chapel with
quadripartite rib-vault and boss of similar carving to capitals of south arcade
and possibly of similar date. Nave roof of queen posts and curved queen struts,
dated 1538. Font: C12, drum-shaped with basket-weave decoration, band of plait
below and pellet above. Glass: south transept by Capronnier of Brussels,
1889. Pulpit: 1620, on angle columns with panels of lions' heads.
W.H. Godfrey, Lewes Guide, Lewes, 1933, (revised ed. 1977), 37-38.
B.O.E., Sussex, Harmondsworth, 1965, 551-552.
Listing NGR: TQ4093710006
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings