This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.4037 / 53°24'13"N
Longitude: -0.8297 / 0°49'47"W
OS Eastings: 477900
OS Northings: 390293
OS Grid: SK779902
Mapcode National: GBR QYN2.5L
Mapcode Global: WHFFY.7Q40
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 1 February 1967
Last Amended: 31 October 1996
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1045129
English Heritage Legacy ID: 241088
Location: Beckingham, Bassetlaw, Nottinghamshire, DN10
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Beckingham
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
SK 79 SE CHURCH STREET
Church of All Saints
Parish church, C13, C14, C15; restored by Ewan Christian 1892. West tower, nave, chancel, north aisle, and north aisle chapel, south aisle, south porch, north side chapel. Large and small ashlar, rendered; lead and slate roofs. West tower, 4 stages; plinth, 4 stringcourses, crenellated parapet, 8 crocketed pinnacles, has 2 diagonal buttresses, 4 setoffs plus plinth. West door has moulded pointed arched head with hoodmould, and close-boarded door. 4th stage has double lancet bell openings with panel tracery, chamfered reveals, hoodmoulds and clock faces to South and East. Nave clerestory, C15, 3 bays, has 3 square-headed double lancets with cusped heads and chamfered reveals on each side. Stepped coped gable with cross. Chancel, 2 bays, has to east, plinth, string course, a pair of corner buttresses, 2 setoffs plus plinth, coped gable with cross. East window, segmental headed quintuple lancet with cusped heads in a chamfered and rebated reveal. South side has a single central buttress, 2 setoffs; to west, a C15 tall triple lancet with cusped heads, in rebated and chamfered reveal. To east C14 priests door with chamfered surround, hoodmould and mask stops. To east again a single C15 triple lancet with cusped heads. North aisle, 3 bays, has 3 buttresses, 2 setoffs plus plinth. Eaves with 4 grotesque gargoyles and 3 corbels; moulded coped gables with an earlier coping surviving to the west. single storey stack on north west corner. west window, C14 double lancet with decorated tracery and plain hoodmould. North side has to east 2 double lancets with ogee heads, in square headed chamfered reveals. To west, one C14 blocked doorway with ashlar quoins and hoodmould. North aisle chapel, 2 bay, has 3 plain buttresses, 2 setoffs plus plinth; moulded plinth and one C14 double lancet with ogee heads, in square headed chamfered opening. South aisle C15, 2 bays, has moulded plinth, moulded stringcourse. 4 gargoyles, moulded parapet. Single central buttress and a pair of corner buttresses at east and west corners, all with 2 setoffs plus plinth. East gable has a single C15 triple lancet with cusped heads, in chamfered and rebated reveal. South wall has, to east, 2 C15 triple lancets with cusped heads, in chamfered and rebated reveal, with cove-moulded mullions. West end has a similar window with chamfered mullions. South porch, C13 has moulded plinth and coped gable with cross. South doorway has double chamfered and rebated surround with half-octagon responds, and hoodmoulds with mask stops; above, quatrefoil opening in gable. East and west sides have a single lancet in chamfered reveal. Inside, south doorway has C15 moulded Tudor arched opening with carved spandrels, and panelled C19 door. Tower arch C14, very tall, double chamfered and rebated, with half octagon responds with moulded caps and chamfered bases. 3 bays of elaborate C15 panel traceried screen re-set in archway. Nave North and south arcades, C13, 3 bays, have octagon piers with moulded bases and octagon caps with nailhead; keeled responds at west end. Arches double chamfered and rebated, with chamfered hoodmoulds. Clerestory tie beams; low pitched roof with 4 curved brackets to kingposts. Has 4 stone corbels each side, carrying curved brackets to kingposts. Chancel arch, C13, plain double chamfered and rebated. North arcade, C13, 2 bays, had octagon piers and responds with moulded caps, small bases and chamfered and rebated arches. North wall has rectangular aumbry in rebated surround. East window has stained glass, c1900. South wall has, to east, small moulded C13 piscina and C13 triple detached-shaft sedillia with roll-moulded arches, leaf capitals, and leaf stops to hoodmould. Window to west has stained glass 1871. Closed boarded C19 kingpost roof with pierced decoration in spandrels. North aisle has close-boarded C19 roof, and to east, half-arch, C13 giving access to north aisle chapel. North aisle chapel partitioned with C19 panelling to form organ chamber and vestry; close boarded C19 roof. South aisle has 2 reset corbels in east and in south wall, a piscina in a square chamfered reveal. Close-boarded C19 roof. fittings include C19 font with octagonal bowl on 5 polished marble shafts with foliate bases and caps; remains of C13 tub font in north west corner of nave. Panelled carved wooden pulpit, C19, carved oak eagle lectern, early C20. Plain C19 pews throughout. Chancel has 5 classical memorial tablets, C18 and C19; south aisle has 4 C19 memorial tablets; tower arch has memorial brass, 1904.
Listing NGR: SK7790090293
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings