History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Giles

A Grade II Listed Building in Ollerton and Boughton, Nottinghamshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1993 / 53°11'57"N

Longitude: -1.0226 / 1°1'21"W

OS Eastings: 465389

OS Northings: 367356

OS Grid: SK653673

Mapcode National: GBR 9G5.D90

Mapcode Global: WHFGT.8V97

Entry Name: Church of St Giles

Listing Date: 11 August 1961

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1045600

English Heritage Legacy ID: 241916

Location: Ollerton and Boughton, Newark and Sherwood, Nottinghamshire, NG22

County: Nottinghamshire

District: Newark and Sherwood

Parish: Ollerton and Boughton

Traditional County: Nottinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Ollerton with Boughton

Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham

Listing Text

OLLERTON NEWARK ROAD
SK 66 NE
(north side)
3/66 Church of
St. Giles
11.8.61

G.V. II

Parish church. c.1780. Gothick style. Irregularly coursed
ashlar and brick, rendered. Plain tile and gabled and lean-to
slate roofs, low pitch. Ashlar dressings, single capped gable
stack. West tower, nave and chancel under continuous roof, C19
vestry and adjoining store, south porch. West tower, 3 stages,
has chamfered plinth, 2 string courses, crenellated parapet with
4 crocketed pinnacles, and wind vane. First stage has to north,
doorway with lancet-panelled door. Second stage has to south and
west, clock, and to north, double lancet. Third stage has 4
double lancet louvred openings. Nave, 4 bays, has 4 triple
lancets on each side. North side has to east, lean-to store with
cross window to west and door to east. Single bay lean-to vestry
has single mullioned window to east. Single bay chancel has to
east, triple lancet. Gabled south porch has moulded pointed
doorway. Interior has wooden benches, arched plaster ceiling and
chamfered pointed doorway with diagonal boarded doors. Aisleless
nave has elliptical window heads and intermediate ogee headed
panels. Moulded cornice and coved plaster ceiling with C19 brass
chandelier. South-east window has stained glass by Heaton, Butler
and Bayne, 1875. Half round tower arch has moulded arris. C13
style panelled screen, 1901. Tower chamber has rounded stair
enclosure with curved boarded door. Half round chancel arch has
panelled intrados. Chancel has half height fielded panelling and
moulded cornice. East window has stained glass by C. G. S.
Foljambe, 1871. Fittings include roll moulded panelled benches,
mid C19 cast iron desks and lectern, late C19 panelled octagonal
pulpit and round polished granite font with grouped shafts. C17
oak plank parish chest with 3 locks. C18 chair with turned legs
and cutout carved back. Monuments include re-sited headstone to
Col. Thomas Markham, 1643. Hatchment, late C18. Classical
marble tablet, 1825. 8 C20 brasses. War memorial brass, 1919.


Listing NGR: SK6538967356

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.