This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7605 / 51°45'37"N
Longitude: -1.2621 / 1°15'43"W
OS Eastings: 451023
OS Northings: 207122
OS Grid: SP510071
Mapcode National: GBR 7XL.RPY
Mapcode Global: VHCXV.20MR
Entry Name: Chapel of St Luke, Radcliffe Infirmary
Listing Date: 28 June 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1047067
English Heritage Legacy ID: 245942
Location: Oxford, Oxfordshire, OX2
District Council Ward: North
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Oxford St Giles
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
612/3/868 WOODSTOCK ROAD
28-JUN-72 (West side)
CHAPEL OF ST LUKE, RADCLIFFE INFIRMARY
Chapel of St Luke,
SP 5107 SW 3/868
Chapel. 1865. By A.W. Blomfield. Coursed rubble, stone tracery and red tile steeply pitched roof with bell turret. Early English Gothic chapel to the Radcliffe Infirmary to which it is connected by a pitched-roof corridor. Chapel forms one side of the courtyard in front of the Infirmary.
PLAN: Rectangular plan of 5 bays plus chancel. Transept porch to south wall under bellcote. Connected to main block by 4-bay corridor.
INTERIOR: Bays marked by wood trusses with cusped underside. Each bay has window with pair of narrow cusped lancets surmounted by pointed trefoils and quatrefoils with carved hood stops. East end window of three stepped lancets framed by tall colonnettes with small capitals supporting thin roll mouldings and foliate roundels in the spandrels; glass depicts nine miracles of healing and the Resurrection possibly designed by Holiday. Ventilation roundel to east gable. Cusped-head plaque to south wall commemorates Thomas Combe, d.1872 and the consecration of the chapel on 7 June 1865.
EXTERIOR: South elevation facing courtyard has buttresses, lancets and sominated by entrance portal to west end. Portal has gabled surround and segmental-headed doorway with pointed tympanum carved with Christ as Good Shepherd flanked by kneeling angels. Capitals carved with stiff-leaf foliage and stiff-lead roundel in the apex of the gable. Bellcote to east end of south wall. Connected to main block by 4-bay corridor with pitched stone slate roof.
HISTORY: Infirmary chapel was housed in the main block of the Radcliffe Infirmary above the Board Room until this new Chapel was built.
The Radcliffe Infirmary Buildings form a group.
Listing NGR: SP5102207120
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings