This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5945 / 51°35'40"N
Longitude: -1.3383 / 1°20'17"W
OS Eastings: 445931
OS Northings: 188614
OS Grid: SU459886
Mapcode National: GBR 7ZF.Y6B
Mapcode Global: VHCYK.R5BZ
Entry Name: Church of St Augustine of Canterbury
Listing Date: 24 November 1966
Last Amended: 25 March 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1048169
English Heritage Legacy ID: 250098
Location: East Hendred, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, OX12
District: Vale of White Horse
Civil Parish: East Hendred
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
EAST HENDRED CHURCH STREET
SU4588 (North side)
19/60 Church of St. Augustine of
(Formerly listed as Church of
Church. C12 origins; C14 north aisle, north transept, and chancel; C15 tower,
south chapel and outer south aisle of 2 bays; restoration and re-modelling
c.1860 by H. Woodyer including removal of south porch, south aisle extended and
clerestory remodelled. Stone ashlar to tower; uncoursed stone rubble plinth to
south aisle; render, probably on stone rubble to left; coursed stone rubble to
right; flint and stone in random chequer to south chapel; lead roof to aisles;
C20 plain-tile roof to nave; stone slate roof to chancel; roof of tower not
visible. 3-bay chancel with side chapels, 4-bay aisled nave, and west tower. C19
plank door to left of south aisle with mid C19 surround. C19 geometrical tracery
windows to south aisle. Two 3-light flat-headed Perpendicular tracery windows to
south chapel, and to east end of chapel. C19 trefoils to clerestory. C19
geometrical tracery windows to east end of chancel and vestry. North side: C15
two-light reticulated tracery windows to north aisle. C15 three-light
reticulated tracery window to north transept. C19 trefoils to clerestory. C19
fenestration to vestry. West tower of 3 stages: double plank doors to 4-centre
arched doorway with plain spandrels and hood mould to west face of tower.
4-light rectilinear tracery window with hood-mould above. 2-light reticulated
tracery louvred opening to each face of upper stage of tower. Open quatrefoil
balustrade to top of tower, with corner finials. Interior: braced collar-truss
roof to chancel, part panelled. C19 reredos, piscina and sedilia. South chapel:
2-bay Perpendicular roof. Some medieval glass fragments, including armorial
bearings, to windows. Chancel screen of c.1860. C15 wood screen to south chapel.
Octagonal wood pulpit and sounding board of c.1660 to left of chancel screen.
C19 recut nave arcades of four 2-centred arches on columns. 2 centred arch to
(Buildings of England: Berkshire: 1975, p133; VCH: Berkshire: Vol 4, 1924,
Listing NGR: SU4593188614
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings