Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6772 / 51°40'38"N
Longitude: -1.5297 / 1°31'47"W
OS Eastings: 432613
OS Northings: 197711
OS Grid: SU326977
Mapcode National: GBR 6WW.XRC
Mapcode Global: VHC0M.F3NK
Entry Name: Carswell Manor (St Hugh's School)
Location: Buckland, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, SN7
District: Vale of White Horse
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Listing Date: 21 November 1966
Source: Historic England
English Heritage Legacy ID: 250894
Source ID: 1048665
BUCKLAND CARSWELL LANE
SU39NW (East side)
2/65 Carswell Manor (St. Hugh's
House, now school. Early C17, extended and remodelled by William Niven c.1898.
Roughcast walls; stone slate roof; stone stacks. Original L-plan extended to
left in late C19. Early C17 front of 2 storeys; 2-window range of scattered
fenestration, the right gable having no windows. Label moulds over 2-, 3- and
4-light stone- mullioned ovolo-moulded windows and two similar 2-light crass
windows. Late C19 two-storey porch has moulded semi-circular arch over
15-panelled door with carved shell decoration to tympanum; Doric columns support
projecting second storey which has similar 4-light window and moulded cornice to
flat roof. Cross-gabled roof, with 3 gables to front; gabled wall to right of
front has offset external stack; internal stack to rear left. Right side wall
has late C19 Jacobean style canted bay window and to rear are similar late C19
ovolo-moulded windows with 3 original early C17 windows (one-light, two-light
and two-light cross windows) to left of rear door. Late C19 one storey and
attic, 6-window range extension to left gable wall built in similar style. To
rear left is a similar 3-window range with the date 1898 set aver central bay;
attached to rear of is a 5-bay Doric orangery, with central pedimented bay, of
c.1898. Interior: Oak panelling of c.1898 to entrance hall which has early C18
stone bolection-moulded fireplace and early C17 open well stairs restored c.1898
and having turned balusters on closed string, square newel posts with ball
finials, pendentives and, at the bottom of the stairs, carved and turned
finials. Entrance hall gives access to three rooms of c.1898 in Queen Anne style
and, to the rear, Early Georgian style; rear room reached by steps with twisted
balusters. Between orangery and rear wing is a fine reset doorway of c.1770 with
shouldered architrave and central Classical figure. First floor has details of
c.1898 throughout: panelled walls to landing: Room to right, now subdivided, in
Art Nouveau style with a fine fireplace. Passage behind landing and plain rooms
to left give access via steps with twisted balusters swept to rear landing,
which also has panelled rooms and an Ionic modillioned cornice. Late C19 roof
throughout. Old prints show that before the 1898 restoration the wing attached
to the left gable wall of the front was early C18, of one storey and attic and 6
bays; there was also a mid C17 four-bay wing to the rear, its 5 front gables
having a central Dutch gable over the porch.
(V.C.H.: Berkshire, Vol.IV, p.453).
Listing NGR: SU3261397711
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings