Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.7436 / 52°44'36"N
Longitude: 1.4704 / 1°28'13"E
OS Eastings: 634339
OS Northings: 321865
OS Grid: TG343218
Mapcode National: GBR XHS.SPT
Mapcode Global: WHMT4.K9DK
Entry Name: Church of St Michael
Location: Barton Turf, North Norfolk, Norfolk, NR12
District: North Norfolk
Parish: Barton Turf
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Listing Date: 16 April 1955
Source: Historic England
English Heritage Legacy ID: 224343
Source ID: 1049931
BARTON TURF CHURCH ROAD
TG 32 SW
2/12 Church of St. Michael
Parish church. C14 nave and aisles, C15 west tower. Aisles and chancel
remodelled C15 (bequest dated 1494 for this work), south chancel chapel 1440-
45. Restored 1890 and 1934. Flint with ashlar dressings and slate roofs.
3 stage tower supported by flushwork diagonal buttresses on flushwork plinth.
Arched west doorway within 3 orders of double wave mouldings below 3-light
west window. Above window a cusped statuary niche below square hood on
labels. String courses divide storeys. Square ringing chamber ventilation
panels in form of cusped 4 petal tracery with hoods on labels. 2-light
louvred belfry windows, the tracery now removed. Crenellated flushwork
parapet. Stair tower to south-east. 2-light west window of south nave aisle.
Gabled south porch of knapped flint and with blocked entrance. Gable rebuilt
in brick 1890. Diagonal corner buttresses and stepped side buttresses, all
with shields and flushwork quatrefoils on plinths. 3-light Perpendicular
nave aisle windows north and south elaborated by rising supermullions. 4
2-light clerestory windows of early C14 with single reticulation units. South
chancel chapel of 2 bays lit through one 3-light Perpendicular south window
and supported by 2 stepped side buttresses and low diagonal east buttress.
Diagonal eastern chancel buttresses. Restored 4-light east window of sub-
arcuated type. 2 Perpendicular. 2-light north chancel windows under depressed
arches. Square 2 storey C15 north porch of knapped and coursed flint.
Diagonal buttresses to ground floor developed into square corner turrets
rising to crenellated parapet. Heraldic shields decorate plinth. Arched
entrance below square hoods on head stops, the spandrels with shields and
tracery. Above are 3 statuary niches under nodding ogee canopies. String
course below parapet enriched by carved patera, mask, rose and-lion. 2-light
reticulated side windows and single square lancets to parvis. Interior of
porch vaulted with 2 bay tierceron vault with carved and painted foliate
bosses. Ribs stone, cells plastered brick. C14 . inner door mouldings.
interior. 4 bay arcade of octagonal piers with polygonal capitals and bases.
Double chamfered arches. Perpendicular tower arch of hollow and roll
mouldings on semi-circular responds. Double hollow chamfered chancel arch
on polygonal responds. King post nave roof 1890 with straight braces.
Plastered and boarded aisle roofs. Wave moulded arch leads from south aisle
into chancel chapel. Blocked rood stair door in north chancel arch pier and
an open door to east. Plain sedilia and cinquefoiled arched angle piscina
in south-east nave chapel. Excellent chancel screen c.1440, coved to west
and with skeleton vault. 3 bays right and left of arched opening, the dado
divided into 2 panels each bay. Each panel with base of carved cusped
encircled quatrefoils and closely worked tracery head, and each with painting
of Court quality. North side : St. Apollonia, St. Citha (or Osyth),
St. Raphael, St. Gabriel, Dominaciones, Seraphim. South side : figures
representing cherubim, principatus, Throne, Archangels, angels and
St. Barbara. Screen lights cusped below coving. Dado of screen between
aisle and chancel chapel. 2 bays each side of opening with tracery heads
of mouchette tracery. Paintings of lesser quality. North side : St. Edmund,
St. Edward the Confessor. South side : St. Olave, Henry VI. 2 bay
Perpendicular south chancel arcade of 4 lobes on high polygonal bases and
polygonal capitals supporting double wave moulded arches. Boarded and
plastered chancel roof. Rafter chapel roof. Ogeed piscina in chapel. Several
C16 poppyhead bench ends on C19 chancel stalls. Early C14 octagonal font
with trefoil headed lancets to panels of stem and bowl. Fragments of C15
glass in north aisle east window. Wall monument on east wall of chancel chapel
to Sarah Norris 1787. Alabaster and marble. Weeping cherub reclines against
broken column. Coat of arms above and cresting of a single urn. Inscription
panel on apron. 2 brasses in south nave aisle : Thomas Amys 1445 and
John Idewynne 1447. 2 brasses in nave : Andree Emmeston 1488 and John Idewyn
Listing NGR: TG3433921865
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings