Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.7849 / 52°47'5"N
Longitude: 1.013 / 1°0'46"E
OS Eastings: 603282
OS Northings: 325064
OS Grid: TG032250
Mapcode National: GBR S9G.JWG
Mapcode Global: WHLRL.J8LD
Entry Name: Church of Holy Innocents
Location: Foulsham, Broadland, Norfolk, NR20
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Listing Date: 10 May 1961
Source: Historic England
English Heritage Legacy ID: 227796
Source ID: 1050984
TG 0325 FOULSHAM HINDOLVESTON ROAD
10.5.61 Church of Holy Innocents
Mid C14 chancel, late C15 nave, aisles and tower. Built of flint, random rubble,
ashlar and render with pantiled roofs. The tower of 4 stages with diagonal buttresses
and flush work base, battlemented parapet with crocketed pinnacles. West door with
arms of Lord Morley (circa 1500) and France and England Quarterly, in spandrel panels.
Perpendicular West window, with above a griddled bell opening. Polygonal attached
stair turret to north-east. North aisle with blocked north door, buttresses and
4 three-light perpendicular windows, and reticulated south window. South porch with
angle buttresses, C14 blocked doorway and window. South aisle with late perpendicular
windows, and buttresses. Chancel with curvilinear windows and diagonal buttresses
with gable heads. Blocked door and priests door to north. East window C19 by
C A Gibbs. Clerestory to nave and chancel late perpendicular. Roof of chancel and
nave re-built and tiled in 1771 after the fire of 1770. Plaster ceiling over the
nave with patera. C15 tower arch with ringing gallery. First 2 bays of north
arcade C13, with circular piers capitals and abaci, possibly raised to match the
other bays of C15 work which have polygonal projections. South arcade perpendicular
with octagonal piers. Chancel arch decorated. C14 stained glass fragments in
eastern chancel windows. Sedilia and piscina mainly C19. Font in perpendicular
style dates from after the fire. Monument in chancel to Sir Thomas Hunt (1616).
Three depressed arches and kneeling under them, Sir Thomas and his wives. Oak
linenfold panels in C19 frame on east chancel wall: (Reverend Thomas Quarles MA, RN)
History and Antiquities of Foulsham 1842.
Listing NGR: TG0328225064
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings