This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6291 / 52°37'44"N
Longitude: 1.2839 / 1°17'1"E
OS Eastings: 622335
OS Northings: 308547
OS Grid: TG223085
Mapcode National: GBR W7G.NV
Mapcode Global: WHMTM.P5KS
Entry Name: Roman Catholic Cathedral of St John the Baptist
Listing Date: 26 February 1954
Last Amended: 8 April 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1051299
English Heritage Legacy ID: 229040
Location: Norwich, Norfolk, NR2
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Heigham Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 15/04/2014
TG 2208 NW
EARLHAM ROAD (south-west side)
Roman Catholic Cathedral of St. John the Baptist.
(Formerly listed as Roman Catholic Church of St. John the Baptist)
Church, now cathedral. 1882 (foundation stone 1884) to 1910 by George Gilbert Scott (Jnr) and J. Oldrid Scott. Ashlar (Beer stone for nave: Ancaster weathered and Clipsham stone for tower and transepts) with lead roof. Cruciform plan with aisles and octagonal chapel off north transept. Early English style. Lancet windows in 9-bay nave, 4-bay chancel and 3-bay transepts, 5-light west window; 2-tier, 3-light east window. Flying buttresses and clerestory. Turrets at corners of nave and chancel. 2-stage crossing tower. Doors in 2-centred north porch and in north transept have elaborate iron strapwork. Interior: Nave arcade of massive round piers; triforium and wall arcades with black (Frosterly) marble shafting; west gallery; stiff-leaf capitals and stone rib-vaulting throughout. Rood bar with crucifix. Glass by John Powell of Hardman & Powell and in the Chancel by Dunstan Powell. Cathedral House, Unthank Road (q.v.) adjoins to the south.
Listing NGR: TG2233508547
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings