History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Lawrence

A Grade II* Listed Building in Leaveland, Kent

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2575 / 51°15'27"N

Longitude: 0.8719 / 0°52'18"E

OS Eastings: 600488

OS Northings: 154850

OS Grid: TR004548

Mapcode National: GBR RVJ.586

Mapcode Global: VHKK2.2N9B

Entry Name: Church of St Lawrence

Listing Date: 24 January 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1054051

English Heritage Legacy ID: 176891

Location: Leaveland, Swale, Kent, ME13

County: Kent

District: Swale

Parish: Leaveland

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Listing Text

TR 05 SW SHELDWICH LEAVELAND

3/93 Church of St Lawrence
24.1.67
II*

Parish church. C13, consecrated 1222. Restored C18, and 1882 and vestry
added. Flint, with red and blue brick on north nave aisle. Plain tiled
roof. Chancel, nave and north aisle, north-west vestry, west tower and
south porch. West end rebuilt C19 with south porch and tiled west tower
belfry. Chancel with lancets to south,north and east, and 2 light C14
windows on south. North aisle with C15 fenestration, reset in C18 brick
each wall. Interior: 2 bay north arcade, chamfered on moulded abaci and
large square pier. Wide north aisle. Roof in nave of 3 crown posts, with
timbered gable to chancel, with roof of 3 small crown posts. Fittings:
piscina in chancel with shelf, hollow chamfered surround and moulded stops;
drip mould over. Smaller and identical piscina in north aisle. Monument:
Katherine Rooper, d.1606. Wall monument in chancel. Alabaster kneeling
woman at prayer desk, behind her her son Francis Herdson, with architectural
surround, ribboned side pieces on scrolled and floriated base, with coffered
cornice and achievement over. Glass: in eastern lancets, 1888 by Kempe.
(See B.O.E. Kent II 1983, 369; also Igglesden, 21, p.29).


Listing NGR: TR0162256679

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.