Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2843 / 51°17'3"N
Longitude: 0.8006 / 0°48'2"E
OS Eastings: 595401
OS Northings: 157628
OS Grid: TQ954576
Mapcode National: GBR RV1.K6R
Mapcode Global: VHKJT.TZMC
Entry Name: Church of St Peter and St Paul
Location: Newnham, Swale, Kent, ME9
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Listing Date: 24 January 1967
Source: Historic England
English Heritage Legacy ID: 176454
Source ID: 1055749
TQ 95 NE NEWNHAM THE STREET
4/48 Church of
St. Peter and
24.1.67 St. Paul
Parish Church. Circa 1200, extended C14 and extensively restored
1868. Flint with plain tiled roofs. Chancel with north and
south chapels, nave with aisles, north west tower and north
porch. Two stage tower with broach spire and lucarnes, heavily
restored exterior with lancets in south aisle and chancel south
wall, otherwise C19 or C15 windows. Interior: nave with north
arcade c.1200 of 2 chamfered arches on square pier and responds
with simple abaci, with similar arch from north aisle to tower.
South arcade C14 with 3 double hollow chamfered arches on
octagonal piers, and similar arch to south chapel. Roof of 4
crown posts. Chancel arch simple C12 arch on abaci with clasped
attached shafts. Chancel with 1 south lancet, and crenellated
wall plate, north and south chapels with roofs of 3 crown posts
each, with crenellated and moulded wall plates; simple chamfered
arches to chancel. Fittings: cusped piscina and trefoil headed
niche and arched aumbrey in chancel, and chamfered piscina in
south chapel. Full set of C19 fittings including reredos, altar
rails, double decker pulpit, box pews, choir stalls and benches
and octagonal font. Monuments: on the south wall of chancel,
white marble wall tablet to John Hulse, d.1681, with scrolled
and foliated Ionic pilasters, with cherub's head and draped urn,
and swan-necked pediment, all on base with cherubs' heads,
brackets and swags. (See BOE KENT II 1983, 40) .
Listing NGR: TQ9540157627
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings