This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0813 / 51°4'52"N
Longitude: 1.0675 / 1°4'2"E
OS Eastings: 614946
OS Northings: 135805
OS Grid: TR149358
Mapcode National: GBR V0L.0QQ
Mapcode Global: FRA F638.CPM
Entry Name: Brockhill County Secondary School
Listing Date: 27 August 1952
Last Amended: 15 May 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1061096
English Heritage Legacy ID: 175650
Location: Saltwood, Shepway, Kent, CT21
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
TR 13 NW SALTWOOD SANDLING ROAD
(formerly listed as
House, now school. 1611 by Thomas Tournay, and mid C19, with C20 alterations.
C17 range roughly coursed galleted stone with plain tile roof. C19 range
rendered, with slate roof. C17 range with left third (possibly partly a
cross-wing) projecting forwards slightly. Linked by short left return wing
(possibly cross-wing to C17 range), to C19 parallel rear range. C17 range:
2 storeys. Left end of left section and left return elevation raised to
height of taller C19 range. Chamfered stone plinth. Flat eaves soffits to
left end of left section. Roof of left end of left section hipped to front,
roof of main range hipped to right. Red brick stack rising from eaves to
front of left end section. Broad projecting C17 stone stack, also to front
elevation, forming right end of left section. Narrower stone stack to centre
of main range with chamfered string and stone base with brick relieving arches.
Projecting stone clock tower almost adjacent to right with chamfered stone
plinth. Irregular fenestration of 6 windows; two 12-pane sashes (one at half-
level) with segmental heads to left end of left section; one 16-pane mullioned
sash to left end of main range; one 24-pane mullioned sash to left of next
stone stack and one 2-light rendered mullioned window to right of tower.
Blocked rectangular chamfered stone window to left end of left section and
similar window to right of porch. 8-panel stone mullioned and transomed
window with moulded hoodmould to right of clock tower. Very slightly projecting
stone parch towards left end of "main range" with moulded rounded arch and
vestigial stone pilasters. C17 panelled door in moulded rectangular architrave
dated 1611. Left return elevation refaced or rebuilt in mid C19 with entrance
porch. Rear range: 2 storeys with rendered quoins and flat eaves soffits.
Hipped roof. Regular 5-window front of 12-pane sashes with segmental heads,
in moulded architraves. Interior not inspected.
Listing NGR: TR1494635805
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings