This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.4124 / 52°24'44"N
Longitude: -1.2055 / 1°12'19"W
OS Eastings: 454138
OS Northings: 279676
OS Grid: SP541796
Mapcode National: GBR 8Q2.N1Y
Mapcode Global: VHCTL.2M1H
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 11 January 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1061424
English Heritage Legacy ID: 191454
Location: Shawell, Harborough, Leicestershire, LE17
Civil Parish: Shawell
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Shawel All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
SP 57 NW SHAWELL MAIN STREET
(south west side)
Church of All Saints
Parish church. C15 west tower, the rest rebuilt 1865-6 by
William Smith. Roughly squared syenite and ashlared limestone
tower and dressings. Plain tile roofs. West tower, north aisle,
south porch, chancel, north vestry. Continuous plinth. Moulded
cornice coped gables with kneelers and cross finials to nave and
chancel. Buttresses with set-offs. 3-stage tower with 3 string
courses, embattled parapet with crocketed corner pinnacles.
Weathercock. Angle buttresses becoming diagonal buttresses above
1st stage. West elevation: single four-centred arch 2-light
window with hoodmould. Above in 3rd stage, a chamfered four-
centred arch 2-light lowered bell-opening with hoodmould. North,
south, and east elevations have similar bell-openings. South
elevation has a very small trefoiled window in its 2nd stage.
North aisle: single, chamfered, pointed arch single-light west
window. North wall from west to east: a buttress followed by a
pair of chamfered trefoiled windows, a buttress, then a pair of
similar windows, another buttress, followed by another pair of
similar windows, then a buttress. Then a chamfered caernarvon
arch doorway with plank door, to vestry. East wall has a 2-light
window. South wall of nave, from west to east: a pointed arch
single-light window with hoodmould, followed by south porch,
half-timbered, with barge-boarded gable and double gates.
Trefoiled openings to east and west. Roll-moulded, pointed arch
south doorway with hoodmould and a double plank doors. To east
again, a chamfered, pointed arch, 2-light window with hoodmould,
then a buttress, followed by another chamfered, pointed arch, 2-
light window with hoodmould, and then another buttress. Chancel:
north wall, from west to east: a chamfered, pointed arch, 2-light
window with hoodmould, followed by a buttress. South wall, from
west to east: a chamfered, pointed arch, 2-light window with
hoodmould, then a chamfered, pointed arch, priest's doorway with
hoodmould and plank door, followed by another similar window, and
then a buttress. East wall has a chamfered, pointed arch, 3-
light window with hoodmould, to left and right a buttress.
INTERIOR: C19 polychromatic stonework. Double-chamfered pointed
tower arch with responds with capitals and bases. 3-bay north
arcade of double-chamfered pointed arches. 2 circular piers with
circular bases, and capitals with floral decoration. East and
west responds have capitals and bases with floral decoration.
Double-chamfered and roll-moulded pointed chancel arch, with
hoodmould with headstops. Responds on corbels, and engaged
shafts, all with capitals and bases, to east and west. Chancel
has continuous sill band with floral decoration at its ends.
South east window sill sedile. 1881 marble and mosaic reredos.
C19 altar rails, table, stalls, pews, pulpit, organ, lectern.
C19 drum font on 4 short shafts.
MONUMENTS:oval slate wall memorial to Thomas Grace (d1742) and
a similar memorial to Dorothy Grace (d1779) on south wall of
tower. Marble and slate wall memorial to Holled Smith Esq
(d1794) his wife and 3 children, with winged figure of Death
scything broken Ionic columns above inscription, to right of
tower arch. Brass wall memorial to Thomas Cockerill (d1862) and
his wife on south wall of nave to east of door. 2 WWI single
wall memorials on west wall of nave. 2 late C19 brass wall
memorials to Rev Edward Elmhirst, and wife, on south wall of
chancel. C19 roofs. C19 polychromatic tiled floors. C19
stained glass, the south west window of chancel, 1890, by Charles
(Buildings of England: Leicestershire: p. 372)
Listing NGR: SP5413879676
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings