History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Andrew

A Grade II* Listed Building in Peatling Parva, Leicestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5017 / 52°30'6"N

Longitude: -1.134 / 1°8'2"W

OS Eastings: 458883

OS Northings: 289668

OS Grid: SP588896

Mapcode National: GBR 8P6.242

Mapcode Global: VHCT7.9DC0

Entry Name: Church of St Andrew

Location: Peatling Parva, Harborough, Leicestershire, LE17

County: Leicestershire

District: Harborough

Parish: Peatling Parva

Traditional County: Leicestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire

Listing Date: 11 January 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

English Heritage Legacy ID: 191201

Source ID: 1061533

Listing Text

PEATLING PARVA
MAIN STREET (West Side)
SP58 NE
8/52 Church of St. Andrew
11.1.55.

GV II*
Parish Church. Features largely Perpendicular (C15) though internal C14
arcade is ample evidence that the fabric incorporates earlier elements.
Restoration and addition of new aisle in 1877. Limestone ashlar and coarse
small grade rubble. Leaded roofs, but Swithland slate to chancel. West
tower, nave and 2 aisles clerestory and chancel. C15 west tower of 3 stages
with angle buttresses, paired foiled lights to bell chamber, quatrefoil
frieze, and gargoyles to embattled parapet. South aisle is a Victorian
rebuild in small rubble. Gable half-timbered porch with pargetting and
leaded lights houses plain chamfered arched doorway. Windows are in an Early
English style: paired lancets with unfoiled circles above. Tiny 2-light
clerestory windows. Parapet. Chancel is also of small rubble or cobble
construction, medieval though extensively modified. Lancet windows to south
and a wide 3-light east window are Victorian but the 2-light square headed
south windows seem Perpendicular. Fabric of buttressed north aisle of
coursed and squared rubble is medieval, but windows are inserts in a deeply
cut Early French style; paired trefoils with quatrefoils above. Inside
double chamfered west tower arch, the inner chamfer springing from high fluted
corbels. South arcade is mid-C14: low octagonal shafts with wide double
chamfered arches with moulded stops to outer chamfer. North arcade is an
exact replica of 1877. Nave roof is C15: low pitched, moulded tie, ridge
piece and purlings with foliate boss in centre of each tie-beam. Unusual
chancel arch of 1877 is tripartite; deeply moulded arches on slender pink
octagonal shafts with stylised low-relief foliage design. Handsome open work
wood pulpit with reticulated tracery in panels is dated 1879. 2 Gothic wall
memorial tablets in black and white marble to commemorate Catherine
Martha-Clarke d.1818 and John Clarke d.1858, by Barfield of Leicester.
Stained glass of 1877. East window represents the good shepherd in a
traditional medieval style with jewelled colours. South window has highly
coloured abstract patterns. Series of saints in north aisle windows. South
aisle windows throughout have simple yellow fleur-de-lis pattern. Pews are
contemporary with the restoration in a vernacular gothic style. C13 font is
a plain rough round basin.


Listing NGR: SP5888389668

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.