This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.7328 / 52°43'58"N
Longitude: -0.5205 / 0°31'13"W
OS Eastings: 499995
OS Northings: 316046
OS Grid: SK999160
Mapcode National: GBR FTR.M70
Mapcode Global: WHGLH.ZK9T
Entry Name: Holywell Hall
Location: Careby Aunby and Holywell, South Kesteven, Lincolnshire, PE9
District: South Kesteven
Parish: Careby Aunby and Holywell
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Listing Date: 6 May 1952
Source: Historic England
English Heritage Legacy ID: 194014
Source ID: 1062833
CAREBY, AUNBY HOLYWELL
SK 91 NE AND TF 0l NW AND HOLYWELL
8/39 AND 9/39 Holywell Hall
Country house. C17, 1732 and early C19. Ashlar,coursed
limestone rubble, hipped and ridged slate roofs having raised
stone coped gables, many ridge and wall ashlar stacks. East
front, early C19, comprising 2 storey, 3 bay ashlar front, the
middle bay recessed, plinth, cill band and cornice, central
tripartite door, with Tuscan portico in antis, with dentillated
frieze. Harebell pendants and acanthus leaves to either side of
the door. The portico is flanked by single tripartite windows,
glazing bar sashes, divided by slender colonettes, supporting
plain frieze with blank segmental head. To first floor 3 glazing
bar sashes. The south front of 6 bays has 6 tall glazing bar
sashes to ground floor with blank recessed panels above, and 6
smaller glazing bar sashes to first floor on cill band. The west
wing is C17 in origin, restored C18 but retaining deep, steeply
pitched roof. Now 2 storeys plus attic with to the south end a
tripartite doorway with square columns and segmental over arch
with above a glazing bar sash and 2 light casement. Irregular 5
bay south front with a half glazed door in plain advanced ashlar
surround flanked by pairs of windows with similar surrounds and
to the first floor 2 similar windows and 3 with plain ashlar
surrounds. In the north rear wall is an early C17 4 centred
moulded archway with cornice now containing a C18 6 panel door.
To the north is a service wing of c.1760 of 6 bays, on the ground
floor 2 panelled doorways, that to the right with a rusticated
surround and 4 horizontal glazing bar sashes with stepped
keyblocks. Above are 4 Diocletian windows with keyblocks.
Interior has 2 scagliola plaster fireplaces, moulded cornice and
urns. Ornate gilded Greek cornice, with central fluted paterae.
6 panelled doors with fluted surrounds, angle paterae. Full
shutters. The rear room has low relief carving of a lamp on
central plaque. Fluted door surrounds, moulded acanthus ceiling
cornice, fluted paterae surrounded by mythological plaster
roundels. The stair hall, remodelled early C19, with Ionic
columns in antis to tripartite approach. Imperial stair with
moulded handrail with delicate knopped and fluted balusters
arranged 3 to a tread, with scrolled open string. Oval top
traceried Adam style top light. Moulded cornice with harebell
frieze. Circular wall plaques with military trophies and swags.
Holywell Hall was the seat of the Reynardson family, and the C17
house was altered and extended after the marriage of Samuel
Reynardson in 1732.
Listing NGR: SK9999516046
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings