History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St. Clement

A Grade II Listed Building in Mablethorpe and Sutton, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.3032 / 53°18'11"N

Longitude: 0.2813 / 0°16'52"E

OS Eastings: 552114

OS Northings: 380903

OS Grid: TF521809

Mapcode National: GBR ZZD7.PL

Mapcode Global: WHJLG.976H

Entry Name: Church of St. Clement

Listing Date: 31 May 1966

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1062981

English Heritage Legacy ID: 195621

Location: Mablethorpe and Sutton, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, LN12

County: Lincolnshire

District: East Lindsey

Parish: Mablethorpe and Sutton

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Sutton-le-Marsh St Clement

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Listing Text

TF 48 SW MABLETHORPE AND SUTTON HUTTOFT ROAD
Sutton-on-Sea
Church of
6/16 St. Clement
31.5.66
II
Parish church. 1818-19, 1860, 1907 additions. Squared
greenstone rubble, red brick, slate roofs. Western tower, nave,
chancel, north chamber and sextons hut, vestry. 2 stage west
tower has plinth, dentillated eaves course and gabled roof. The
pointed west window has wooden tracery and above a stone panel.
inscribed "I S Cooke Ch.Wdn 1819". The belfry stage has pointed
paired louvred lights in 4 directions. The lower parts of the
nave are in stone, the upper parts in brick, also with
dentillated eaves course. On the north side is a double gabled
c.1860 sexton's hut with 2 pointed leaded lights. In the north
wall of the nave are 2 semi-circular headed lights with wooden
tracery. The north chamber, also of 1860 with dentillated eaves
has 2 pointed lights, and north double doors with Gothic
traceried fanlight. On the east side is a single window with
stone Y tracery and a further pointed light. The 1860 chancel
has 2 lights on the north side and one to the south, and in the
east wall a 3 light window with stone intersecting tracery. C20
vestry to the south, and in the south wall of the nave 2 further
semi-circular headed windows and a matching double door. To the
west of the door a reused stone has a carved medieval pinnacle.
Interior. Double chamfered chancel arch with roll moulded
imposts. Sanctuary arch is similar. At the west end a panelled
timber gallery with fluted pier. The C14 octagonal font has
cusped traceried panels to the sides and a moulded base. All
fittings are C20, apart from turned baluster altar rails now
across the chancel. The church was rebuilt on a new site after
the old church was destroyed by the sea.


Listing NGR: TF5211480903

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Marsoville
    Mablethorpe and Sutton, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, LN12
  • II Lindum
    Mablethorpe and Sutton, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, LN12
  • II Wavelands
    Mablethorpe and Sutton, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, LN12

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.