History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Woodthorpe Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Strubby with Woodthorpe, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.3019 / 53°18'6"N

Longitude: 0.1578 / 0°9'28"E

OS Eastings: 543892

OS Northings: 380500

OS Grid: TF438805

Mapcode National: GBR YZJ8.Z2

Mapcode Global: WHJLD.D8DJ

Entry Name: Woodthorpe Hall

Listing Date: 9 July 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1062989

English Heritage Legacy ID: 195642

Location: Strubby with Woodthorpe, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, LN13

County: Lincolnshire

District: East Lindsey

Parish: Strubby with Woodthorpe

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Strubby Wold Marsh St Oswald

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Listing Text

TF 48 SW STRUBBY WITH WOODTHORPE WOODTHORPE
4/39 Woodthorpe Hall
II
Small country house. mid C17 with C18, mid C19 and C20
alterations. Red brick with pantile roofs and a pair of central
square ridge stacks. Parallel ranges. 2 storey with garret, 7
bay front with central half glazed door covered by C19 gabled
trellis porch, flanked by single blank opening and 2 glazing bar
sashes with cambered heads. To first floor the pattern is
repeated with a central window. All first floor openings have
flat heads. To the right is a C18 lean-to with a further glazing
bar sash. The gable ends have second floor brick bands, and are
of 4 bays with glazing bar sashes and blank openings. To the
rear is a C17 timber cross mullioned window with leaded lights,
lighting the stair. Interior retains main dogleg staircase up 3
flights of c.1680 with turned balusters, moulded handrail and
acorn knopped newels. Timber spiral back stairs. Oak pegged
clasped purlin roof. The house is set in a moated enclosure,
and was formerly the seat of the Ballett family, whose monuments
are in Strubby Church. Near the Hall stands a large ancient oak
tree said to be a landmark to navigators on the North Sea.


Listing NGR: TF4389280500

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Aby Grange Cottage
    Aby with Greenfield, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, LN13
  • II Rectory
    Withern with Stain, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, LN13

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.