History in Structure

Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!

Church of St Margaret

A Grade II Listed Building in Beesby with Saleby, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2858 / 53°17'8"N

Longitude: 0.1854 / 0°11'7"E

OS Eastings: 545786

OS Northings: 378762

OS Grid: TF457787

Mapcode National: GBR YZQF.YV

Mapcode Global: WHJLD.TNHX

Entry Name: Church of St Margaret

Location: Beesby with Saleby, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, LN13

County: Lincolnshire

District: East Lindsey

Parish: Beesby with Saleby

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Listing Date: 9 March 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

English Heritage Legacy ID: 195598

Source ID: 1063011

Listing Text

SALEBY WITH THORESTHORPE CHURCH LANE
TF 47 NE
(north side)
3/75 Church of
9-3-67 St. Margaret

G.V. II

Parish church. 1850 by Stephen Lewin. Restored 1958. Buff
brick with ashlar dressings, slate roofs, stone coped. Nave
with western bellcote, south aisle, chancel, south porch. The 3
light west window has intersecting tracery with a trefoil lancet
to the south. The gabled bellcote has 2 trefoil headed arches
with quatrefoil over. In the north wall are 3 paired lights
with geometrical tracery subdivided by stepped buttresses, and in
the chancel is a similar 2 light window. The east window is of
3 lights, the hood mould has portrait human head stops. The
south wall of the chancel has a 2 light pointed window. To the
south wall of the aisle are 2 reticulated 2 light windows. The
gabled south porch has a double chamfered outer doorway with
moulded hood and a single chamfered inner doorway. Interior.
C19 3 bay south arcade with octagonal shafts and triple chamfered
arches. Chamfered chancel arch with octagonal responds and
human head corbels. In the chancel a pointed doorway in the
south wall. All fittings are C19 including the octagonal font,
carved in a C15 style. The 3 bay rood screen and rood are C20.
In the chancel north wall an arched recess contains a full length
effigy of a knight in chain mail and surcoat. Apparently to Sir
William de Hardreshull d.1303. Also in the chancel floor a small
brass to George Harrington, d.1556, who lies in St. Dunstans
Church, London, and a further one inscribed "to John Haryington
of Wickham, in the county of Lincoln, who built this chapel,
1592, being lord and patron of Salebie and lieth in St.
Sepulchre's Church, London and died 12th May, 1599," both bearing
arms and helms. At the east end of the chancel is the old
datestone of the original chapel, bearing the Haryington Arms and
dated "1591".


Listing NGR: TF4578678762

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.