History in Structure

Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!

Church of St Helen

A Grade II* Listed Building in Stickford, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1204 / 53°7'13"N

Longitude: 0.0187 / 0°1'7"E

OS Eastings: 535192

OS Northings: 360038

OS Grid: TF351600

Mapcode National: GBR JTS.CKG

Mapcode Global: WHHKZ.8T5Q

Entry Name: Church of St Helen

Location: Stickford, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, PE22

County: Lincolnshire

District: East Lindsey

Parish: Stickford

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Listing Date: 3 February 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

English Heritage Legacy ID: 196255

Source ID: 1063536

Listing Text

TF 36 SE STICKFORD BOSTON ROAD
(east side)

2/42 Church of
St. Helen

3.2.67 II*

Parish church. C13, C14, C15, restorations 1830, 1853 by Fowler,
1863 and 1881. Ashlar, some red brick. Slate roofs. Coped
gables with single ridge crosses to the east nave, east chancel
and south porch. Buttressed. Tower, nave, aisles, south porch
and chancel. C15 angle buttressed tower set on a moulded plinth
of 4 stages with bands. Brick parapet with single corner
gargoyles. Single carved angels holding shields to the centre of
the south, north and west sides. Deep moulded C15 west doorway
with hood mould and label stops. Above is a single C15 arched 4
light window with panel tracery, hood mould and label stops.
Single rectangular light over. 3 small stair lights. The south
and north sides each with single large brick blocked chamfered
archways with 3 corbels over. South and east sides each with
single rectangular lights at the third stage, the south side also
with 2 stair lights. 4 arched C19 bell chamber openings each
with 3 arched and cusped lights, panel tracery, hood mould and
label stops. The north aisle, set on a plinth to west and north,
is patched with brick and has in the west wall a single heavily
restored C13 trefoil arched lancet. The north wall has a single
C13 window with single pair of pointed arched lights surmounted
by single truncated roundel. To the left is a chamfered pointed
arched doorway with C14 carved human head over and further left a
single C14 window with 2 ogee arched and elaborately cusped
lights under a flat arch. The east wall has a single heavily
restored C13 trefoil arched lancet. The chancel, set on a plinth
to the east and south, has in the east wall a single C19 arched 3
light window with cusped tracery, hood mould, human head label
stops and continuous stepped sill band which extends to the south
wall which has 2 C19 arched 2 light windows with cusped tracery,
hood mould and label stops. The south aisle is set on a
chamfered plinth, the east wall has a single C19 arched 2 light
window with cusped tracery, hood mould and decorative label
stops. The south wall has 2 C19 arched 2 light windows with
cusped tracery, hood mould and decorative label stops. To the
left is the gabled porch, rebuilt C19, with C15 moulded arched
entrance, hood mould and human head label stops. Flanking the
arch are single carved angels holding shields. Inner C19 moulded
arched doorway with hood mould and decorative label stops. To
the left and in the west wall of the south aisle are single
similar C19 windows with hood moulds and decorative label stops.
Interior. 4 bay nave arcades with double chamfered arches, the
south side early C13 with octagonal columns and responds, the 2
east columns and west respond with nail head decoration to the
capitals, hood mould to the nave side. Late C13 north arcade
with quatrefoil piers and responds with fillets and moulded
capitals, hood mould and human head label stops to the nave side.
Tall C15 double chamfered tower arch. C19 chamfered and moulded
chancel arch, the inner order supported on foreshortened
colonnettes with moulded capitals in turn supported on decorative
corbels. Hood mould and angel label stops. C14 octagonal font,
the bowl decorated with quatrefoil panels. Several C15 bench
ends some with poppyheads, some with human head carving. Church
re-roofed late C19.


Listing NGR: TF3519260038

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.