History in Structure

Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!

Church of St Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in Harrington, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2262 / 53°13'34"N

Longitude: 0.0467 / 0°2'48"E

OS Eastings: 536731

OS Northings: 371856

OS Grid: TF367718

Mapcode National: GBR KTT.LNP

Mapcode Global: WHHKL.P5GL

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Location: Harrington, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, PE23

County: Lincolnshire

District: East Lindsey

Parish: Harrington

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Listing Date: 3 February 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

English Heritage Legacy ID: 195961

Source ID: 1063676

Listing Text

HARRINGTON CHURCH LANE
TF 37 SE (east side)

3/34 Church of
3.2.67 St. Mary

II*

Parish church. C13, rebuilt 1854-5 by S. S. Teulon. Dressed
greenstone. Slate roofs. Single stack to the east nave.
Buttressed nave. Tower, nave, south porch and chancel. C13
tower, heightened C19, set on a chamfered plinth and of 2 stages,
the top C19 stage being slightly set back and with small angle
buttresses. Single corner gargoyles to the west side. The west
wall has a single arched 2 light C19 window with reticulated
tracery, hood mould and C14 human head label stops. Above is a
single ogee arched light with single transom, single similar
lights to the north and south sides. 4 arched 2 light C19 bell
chamber openings with plate tracery, the lights divided by single
clustered colonnettes. The north nave has 3 trefoil arched C19
single light windows with hood moulds, the central single window
with human head label stops, the remaining 2 with decorative
label stops. To the left is a single C19 arched 2 light window
with reticulated tracery, hood mould and human head label stops.
The north chancel with band which forms a continuous sill band to
the east wall and the south chancel apart from the single right
window where it forms a hood mould. The east wall with single 3
light arched C19 window with cusped tracery, hood mould and human
head label stops. The south chancel has a single arched C19
window with cusped tracery, to the left is a single arched 2
light C19 window with cusped tracery, hood mould and human head
label stops. The south nave has a single 3 light arched C19
window with cusped tracery, hood mould and decorative label
stops. To the left are 2 two light arched C19 windows with
cusped tracery, hood moulds and label stops. Those to the right
being human head, those to the left decorative. On the far left
is the gabled and coped porch with moulded and chamfered arched
entrance, hood mould and human head label stops. Each side wall
with single quatrefoil. Inner moulded arched doorway with hood
mould and human head label stops. Interior. Triple chamfered
C13 tower arch. Moulded chancel arch supported on responds of 3
foreshortened colonnettes, the central with fillet, further
supported on single decorativfe corbels. The east window is
flanked by single colonnettes with moulded arch, hood mould and
human head label stops. Chancel roof supported on 2 moulded
capitals in turn supported on single carved angels. C15 ashlar
font, the shaft decorated with blind perpendicular tracery, the
octagonal bowl with 8 shields with single carved heads over.
Single C15 bench with poppy heads. C17 chest with some carving.
Memorials. South nave has an arched tomb recess contaning the
restored C14 effigy of a cross legged knight in chain mail with
shield and feet on a lion. Mounted onto a choir stall is a C15
brass of a female figure. Tower has a black stone tomb chest,
the sides decorated with shields set into roundels. Over is a
wall tablet containing 3 brass plaques, 2 of shields the third
with inscription to John Copledike,1557 and his wife, 1552. In
the chancel is a further tomb chest to John Copledike, 1585 and
his wife, 1582. The sides of this tomb similarly decorated. 4
octagonal columns support a canopy with quatrefoil frieze and a
cresting. The back panel now was 2 brass figures and 3 shields,
also some blind tracery. Blind tracery to soffit. The memorial
to Tho. Copledike, 1658, has the apron decorated with a carved
angel and is topped with a broken segmental pediment containing a
shield. Alabaster memorial to Francis Copuldyck and his wife and
family, 1599, 2 kneeling figures with 2 further smaller similar
figures in decorated aedicule surround flanked by single obelisks
with decorative apron and coloured cartouche, flanked by single
coloured shields on the crown. That to Anna Maria Amcotts, 100
has a shield surmounting the tablet and a shield on the apron.


Listing NGR: TF3673171856

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.