Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.372 / 51°22'19"N
Longitude: -0.1392 / 0°8'20"W
OS Eastings: 529621
OS Northings: 165303
OS Grid: TQ296653
Mapcode National: GBR F7.CLD
Mapcode Global: VHGRK.JSS3
Entry Name: Beddington Place (Great Hall Only)
Location: Sutton, London, SM6
Locality: Beddington North
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Listing Date: 21 January 1954
Source: Historic England
English Heritage Legacy ID: 206699
Source ID: 1065672
(Great Hall only)
TQ 2965 SE 13/38 21.1.54.
The Great Hall is usually ascribed by authorities (on the basis of a statement
by Aubrey) to the reign of Elizabeth, but from its style and a statement by Fuller
that it was rebuilt by Sir Nicholas Carew who died in 1559, it belongs to the
period circa 1550. It is a remarkably fine apartment and resembles in a lesser
vein and on a smaller scale, the Great Hall at Hampton Court which was built
in 1530-35. Sir Francis Carew entertained Queen Elizabeth here for 3 days in
The interior of the Great Hall (60 ft 8 ins x 52 ft 4 ins) is covered by an early
C16 arch braced hammer-beam roof of 4 bays with similar trusses in the end walls.
On the walls are (1) a trophy of Elizabethan arms and military engines in stone
or plaster painted to look like bronze, and (2) at the opposite end a coloured
achievement of arms in similar relief of Sir Nicholas Carew (d 1727) with the
arms of his wife Elizabeth Hackett in pretence. The walls are lined with stained
C19 panelling with crenellated top rails, which according to the Victoria County
History covers an old fireplace. The floor is of white stone paving with black
marble squares placed diagonally at the corners; probably circa 1709-10 when
the alterations were made to the house; this has now been covered by modern parquet
floors. The room to the South on each floor is constructed within the walls
of the Tudor house and half a one-light stone window surround and its adjacent
walling is said to be visible on opening a cupboard on the 1st floor. Some of
the roofing over this is also old, but it is not of any real interest.
The only other feature of interest is an early C18 bolection moulded marble fireplace
surround in the South-West ground floor room, Formerly a wall tablet by H Weekes,
ARA, to the Duke of Cambridge commissioned in 1850 by the Orphanage in his memory
and brought from their earlier premises. It bears a profile bust portrait of
the Duke and 2 profile full length portraits of girl orphans in uniform.
C19 casing to Great Hall in a Gothic style in red brick with stone dressings
and tile roofs. Main part of east elevation of 2 storeys, 6 bays, each bay separated
by a buttress. Crenellated parapet. Tall 2-light Gothic windows above; below
2-light windows in rectangular frames. At either end a gabled projection of
2 storeys, 2 window bays. Casing to west front of Great Hall in similar style
but with lean-to loggia against ground floor of hall; 2-light square headed glazed
openings. 5 window bays with tall brick tower to centre bay; 2 tall windows
above lst floor of tower; moulded band with gargoyles; gables over each face;
clock in west face; bell-cote.
Parish Church of St Mary the Virgin, Lychgates, Churchyard Walls and wall along
Church Lane, Orangery Wall, Beddington Place, gate and screen, Pigeon House,
Nos 1 to 3 (consec) Beddington Park Cottages, premises occupied by Hockey Club
and adjoining structure, East Lodge, wall south-west of Beddington Park Cottages
and garden walls to north of Orangery and Beddington Place form a group.
Listing NGR: TQ2962265300
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings