History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in Woodnewton, Northamptonshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5392 / 52°32'21"N

Longitude: -0.4797 / 0°28'46"W

OS Eastings: 503210

OS Northings: 294572

OS Grid: TL032945

Mapcode National: GBR FX3.ZG8

Mapcode Global: VHFN9.MFSR

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 23 May 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1065862

English Heritage Legacy ID: 422695

Location: Woodnewton, East Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, PE8

County: Northamptonshire

District: East Northamptonshire

Civil Parish: Woodnewton

Traditional County: Northamptonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire

Church of England Parish: Woodnewton St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in
Nassington

Listing Text

WOODNEWTON MAIN STREET
TL0394 (North side)
19/206 Church of St. Mary
23/05/67
GV II*
Church. C11 to C15, tower rebuilt C17 and north aisle and transept demolished,
porch remodelled as datestone 1662. South transept truncated 1808; church
restored 1910 and organ chamber added. Regular coursed and squared coursed
limestone with ashlar dressings. Collyweston slate and lead roofs. Nave,
chancel, remains of south transept, south porch, north organ chamber and west
tower. South elevation of chancel of 2-window range of lancets, under hood
moulds, with nailhead decoration. Ashlar buttress between windows. C12 priest
door, to left, has semi-circular head with zig-zag decoration. Low side window,
with arch-head, at intersection of aisle transept and chancel wall. Steeply
gabled roof with Collyweston slates, behind plain ashlar coping with finial.
3-light west window, with hollow reveals, and Perpendicular style tracery,
renewed C19. Flanking ashlar buttresses. North elevation of chancel is similar
to south elevation, with a 2-window range of lancets. South aisle of 4 bays,
3-window range. 3-light window with intersecting tracery and carved label stops,
to right. 3-light centre window has triangular head, 3 cusped circles and carved
label stops. 2-light window, to left, has similar cusped circle. Ashlar buttress
to corner and between centre and right window. Lean-to roof with plain ashlar
parapet. Bay to right originally projected as the south transept. 3-light east
window has intersecting tracery. Single lancet in west wall. Gabled porch breaks
forward in bay to left of centre. Double stepped and single chamfered outer
doorway, has quatrefoil responds and one order of shafts. Nailhead decoration to
steps and hood mould. C12 inner doorway with semi-circular head, nailhead
decoration and 2 orders of shafts. Single stage buttresses, flanking outer
doorway, to return walls. Ashlar gable parapet and C19 finial. Datestone in apex
of gable EC/LS/1662. North elevation of nave of 3 bays. 2-window range to centre
and right of C17 four-light square-head windows. 2-stage buttresses between bays
and to right hand corner. 2 C15 two-light clerestory windows to far left.
Shallow gabled roof has plain ashlar parapet to centre and right bay and
castellated ashlar parapet to left bay. Early C20 gabled organ chamber breaks
forward to far left. 2 single-light square-head windows with roundel above, in
north gable. South nave clerestory of 5-window range of C15 two-light windows
similar to north elevation. 2 bays to right, corresponding with the line of the
former south transept, set-back slightly. West tower of 2 stages. 3-stage ashlar
buttresses to west facing corners only. Evidence of early foundations at base of
buttresses. Lancet window to west face of lower stage. Small square-head window
to lower west face of upper stage. 2-light square-head bell-chamber openings,
with arch-head lights, to each face of upper stage. Castellated ashlar parapet
with crocketed pinnacles at corners. Interior: 3-bay south nave arcade of early
C13 double chamfered arches with circular and quatrefoil piers with nailhead
decoration. East respond has capital with carved heads. Similar arch gives
access to former south transept, from south aisle. Late C12, single stepped,
semi-circular arch from nave to former south transept has flat responds. This
bay breaks forward from the line of the south arcade. Moulded and chamfered
chancel arch with semi-circular responds. Late C12 triple stepped and chamfered
tower arch, with polygonal responds, is set in square surround. Moulded and
chamfered chancel arch with semi-circular responds. Double chamfered arch with
polygonal responds to organ chamber. South aisle roof has some original timbers.
Other roofs are C19. Octagonal font on octagonal base, probably modified. Double
piscina with trefoil head openings and central column, to right of altar.
Trefoil head piscina in former transept. Evidence of jambs of former east window
in chancel. Stained glass: fragment of medieval glass to south window of former
trancept. C19 glass in chancel. Early C20 furnishings. Monuments: fragments of
stone coffin lids in porch. Early C19 inscribed marble tablet to Cheeseman
family on south wall of nave. Inscribed tablet recording restoration of church
in 1910 by Brassey family of Apethorpe Hall (q.v.).
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire: p469; RCHM: An Inventory of
Architectural Monuments in North Northamptonshire: p166)


Listing NGR: TL0321094572

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.