History in Structure

Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!

The Albert Public House

A Grade II Listed Building in St James's, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4977 / 51°29'51"N

Longitude: -0.1355 / 0°8'7"W

OS Eastings: 529518

OS Northings: 179291

OS Grid: TQ295792

Mapcode National: GBR FK.Q8

Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.LMQ6

Entry Name: The Albert Public House

Location: Westminster, London, SW1H

County: London

District: City of Westminster

Locality: St James's

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Listing Date: 31 October 1973

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

English Heritage Legacy ID: 207423

Source ID: 1066148

Listing Text

TQ 2979 SE CITY OF WESTMINSTER VICTORIA STREET, SW1
100/15
31.10.73 The 'Albert' Public House
II
Corner public house. 1865-67. Yellow brick with red brick dressings and
stucco trim, slate roof. 4 storeys. 3 windows wide to Victoria Street,
5-window return with 2 storey 3-window extension. Original, canted public
house ground floor frontage with central panelled and glazed doors and
flanking windows framed by granite pilasters carrying fascia, cornice and
balustrade with ball finials, returned, with coupled pilasters and small
pediments above them over the cornice, across the full extent of the
ground floor; all the bar windows and glazed doors have excellent cut,
engraved and frosted glass. The upper floors have grouped recessed
glazing bar sashes linked by ornate iron balconettes on 2nd and 3rd
floors; similar fenestration to return. Moulded stucco string over 1st
floor; prominent stucco main entablature with very deep cornice and lions'
head modillions; one stucco moulded parapet upstand to centre of both
fronts with "THE ALBERT" incised on them. Interior retains some c.1900
bar fittings. The pub originally adjoined the former Artillery Brewery.


Listing NGR: TQ2951779298

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.