This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.6147 / 53°36'52"N
Longitude: -2.3225 / 2°19'21"W
OS Eastings: 378760
OS Northings: 413175
OS Grid: SD787131
Mapcode National: GBR DV6M.ZZ
Mapcode Global: WH97Q.9D8R
Entry Name: Brandlesholme Old Hall
Listing Date: 29 January 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1067287
English Heritage Legacy ID: 210598
Location: Bury, BL8
Civil Parish: Non Civil Parish
Metropolitan District Ward: Elton
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Kirklees Valley
Church of England Diocese: Manchester
SD 71 SE BRANDLESHOLME ROAD
Brandlesholme Old Hall
Originally an open-hall cruck-framed house, originating in C13, altered and extended
in C16. Remodelled 1849. Front of two unequal advanced 2-storeyed gables with porch
between. Rendered. Wide plain C19 barge-boards, rounded at bases. Moulded oriel
window of C19 to each gable (but upper one on left gable is plain horizontal window).
Behind and to left, at right-angles to gable wings, is the tall l½-storey range with
steep slate roof which contains the medieval hall, with wide, well-formed upper cruck
frame, ceiled with joists on heavy cross-beams in C16 or C17. South front originally
"black-and-white" C16 range kitchen, parlour, etc, was rebuilt in gabled style in
1849, became Brandlesholme Hall and is not included. In time of Henry I it was residence
of bailiff to Montbegon and later de Lacey lands whose name was Brandlesholme.
By marriage, house descended to Greenhalghs who remained for 11 generations till 1730s.
John Greenhalgh was made Governor of Isle of Man by Early of Derby in 1640, fought
with distinction at Worcester and died of wounds same year.
Listing NGR: SD7876013175
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings