History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St George

A Grade II Listed Building in Hyde Werneth, Tameside

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4465 / 53°26'47"N

Longitude: -2.0788 / 2°4'43"W

OS Eastings: 394863

OS Northings: 394422

OS Grid: SJ948944

Mapcode National: GBR FXXL.R7

Mapcode Global: WHB9R.1MCN

Entry Name: Church of St George

Location: Tameside, SK14

County: Tameside

Locality: Hyde Werneth

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Listing Date: 1 October 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

English Heritage Legacy ID: 212474

Source ID: 1068080

Listing Text

HYDE CHURCH STREET
SJ 99 SW
(south-east side)
Hyde
6/18 Church of
1.10.b5 St. George
G.V. II
Church. 1831-2 by T. and C. Atkinson for the Church
Commissioners. Watershot dressed stone with slate roof. 3-
sided gallery plan with a central west tower. 7-bay aisles
under the same roof as the nave and having a stone plinth,
coped parapet and a tall window with 4-centred arch and
hoodmould. The corners, as well as those of the small
chancel bay have octagonal piers and bold pinnacles. The 5-
light east window has rectilinear tracery. The south aisle
has a wall mounted sundial. Imposing 3-stage tower with 4-
centred arch door, 4-light west window, clock faces,
transomed 2-light belfry window, coped parapet and octagonal
corner columns with pinnacles. Similar doorways flank the
tower on either side giving access to the galleries.

Interior: altered in 1885 when the central pulpit was
removed, a pierced gallery rail and new seats installed and
the organ relocated. At the same time the tall arcade
columns which carry the gallery half way up were remodelled
to be circular rather than octagonal. They have moulded
bases, enriched octagonal capitals and carry 4-centred
arches. Coved plaster ceiling and stained glass. The organ
by S. Renn (1838) is in temporary storage.

Listing NGR: SJ9486394422

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.