This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1655 / 51°9'55"N
Longitude: 1.3037 / 1°18'13"E
OS Eastings: 631071
OS Northings: 145886
OS Grid: TR310458
Mapcode National: GBR X2D.SHZ
Mapcode Global: VHLH4.KY2W
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 23 April 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1068592
English Heritage Legacy ID: 178526
Location: Whitfield, Dover, Kent, CT16
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
TR 34 NW WHITFIELD CHURCH WHITFIELD
Church of St. Peter
Church. C8 or C10. Extended C.1200. Restored 1894 by Ewan Christian.
Flint and plain tiled roofs. Nave, north aisles chancel and sanctuary,
south porch and vestry. Blocked west doorway (flint jambs visible) and
small round headed gable light, with rebated head of single block of
stone, both probably C8 features. Restored C12 lancet cuts into doorhead.
Flint jambed double-splayed window above south porch exposed remains of
arcade in south wall. Double lancet and roundel east window to north
aisle, otherwise C19 fenestration throughout. Porch,north aisle and
chancel all C19, with shingled bell turret. Interior C8 nave and chancel,
with exposed remains in south wall of C12 arcade to demolished south
aisle, with round piers. Simple tall round headed chancel arch altered
1894, with surviving round arched opening on round responds with scalloped
capitals (part of south arcade now to C19 vestry) in Saxon chancel, with
simple pointed arches to north aisle and second chancel (originally C13,
rebuilt 1894). Two bay arcade from nave to north aisle, C19 with double
chamfered arches on round pier. C19 roofs. Monuments Lucy and George
Stringer (1821 and 1839), large black and white wall monument as a neo-
classical aedicule with oval plaque and urn over; Harriett Stringer-
Latham d.1825, white wall plaque as a sarcophagus with reeded side
pieces and pediment over the C13 bell said to be oldest in Kent. The
church since 1971 has been reorganised, with centralised plan, the altar
now in north aisle, facing south, the old chancel and sanctuary now
vestry/school rooms. (See BOE Kent II 1983, 495; Church guide, 1986,
Listing NGR: TR3107145886
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings