History in Structure

Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!

Strict Baptist Chapel and Walled Forecourt

A Grade II Listed Building in Lamberhurst, Kent

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0989 / 51°5'55"N

Longitude: 0.3898 / 0°23'23"E

OS Eastings: 567424

OS Northings: 136002

OS Grid: TQ674360

Mapcode National: GBR NRV.3C5

Mapcode Global: FRA C6P6.ZM1

Entry Name: Strict Baptist Chapel and Walled Forecourt

Location: Lamberhurst, Tunbridge Wells, Kent, TN3

County: Kent

District: Tunbridge Wells

Parish: Lamberhurst

Traditional County: Sussex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Listing Date: 10 October 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

English Heritage Legacy ID: 170099

Source ID: 1068714

Listing Text

LAMBERHURST TOWN HILL
TQ 6636-6736 & 6635-6735
(north west side)
8 & 9/262 Strict Baptist Chapel and
walled forecourt
GV II

Chapel. 1816, altered 1851. Red and blue chequered brick with slate hung rear
addition. Slate roof. Simple Neo-Classical style rectangular chapel with 2 storey
rear wing, the main elevation with pedimented gable containing gauged brick roundel
and gauged round headed windows either side of central panelled double doors with
traceried segmental fan and flat hood on brackets. Side elevations with brick dentil
eaves cornice and single tall window opening. All windows with late C20 top bung
casements (replacing sashes). Rear wing with sash windows and end stack. The upper
courses of the chapel show signs of the 1851 alterations, the rear wing entirely of
this date (although Homan, Victorian Churches of Kent, says the chapel was rebuilt
1851). Walled forecourt to east of chapel, c.1851 walls about 4 feet in height of red
brick in English bond on sandstone base with coping stones and slight piers to
corners and to central gate, itself with simple iron uprights. The right return side
of the forecourt formed by the gates and walls to Murlingden, item no. 8/261 built
c.1841 and predating the forecourt walls.


Listing NGR: TQ6742436002

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.