This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3262 / 51°19'34"N
Longitude: 0.9449 / 0°56'41"E
OS Eastings: 605269
OS Northings: 162683
OS Grid: TR052626
Mapcode National: GBR SVZ.ZMG
Mapcode Global: VHKJQ.BXCQ
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 24 January 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1069110
English Heritage Legacy ID: 176719
Location: Graveney with Goodnestone, Swale, Kent, ME13
Parish: Graveney with Goodnestone
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
TR 06 SE GRAVENEY SEASALTER ROAD
3/113 Church of All
Parish Church. C12 and C14 with some C15 fenestration. Little restored,
but downpipes dated 1870. Coursed rubble and flint with plain tiled roof.
Chancel, nave with aisles, north-western tower and south porch. Tower with
string course and battlements, lancets in four stages and quatrofoil at the
top. Circular north-eastern stair-turret. Roll moulded and hollow chamfered
west doorway. South aisle with offset diagonal buttresses and parapet. C14
Decorated tracery, of cusped paired lights with quatrefoils over, and 3
light aisle east window withcusped and foiled tracery and segmental hood.
South porch extended in brick and pebbledashed, with moulded and chamfered
south doorway. Chancel with cusped C14 lancets to south, restored C13
lancets to north, and 3 light C15 Perpendicular east window within the larger
blocked jambs and drip mould of C14 east window. North aisle with 5
buttresses. Perpendicular 2 light windows, and simple chamfered north door-
way. Interior: C14 nave arcades; 3 bays to the north with the tower as end
bay, and 4 bays to south. Octagonal piers on seat-plinths with moulded
capitals, those to south richer; hollow chamfered and wave-moulded south
arcade, double chamfered north arcade. Roof of 5 crown posts, with moulded
collar beams and side purlins, and solid spandrels to raised tie beams.
Lean-to aisle roofs. Romanesque chancel arch on imposts, the piers cut away
and corbelled. Interior jambs and drip mould of C14 east window survive
around C15 insertion, the respond carried down to floor level. Braced truss
and tie beam roof-with embattled wall plate. Fittings: chancel; cinquefoil
headedpiscina, double and single sedilia, the larger to east with colonnettes
with moulded octagonal bases and capitals, the smaller with cinquefoiled head.
Four centred arch and embattled label over both. Two C15 benches with poppy-
heads, one with 6 pierced and cusped panels, the other with 3 pierced panels.
Screen: early C16, 5 bays with attached shafts with Tudor flower motif on
base with traceried panels and shields. Embattled transom running into tracery
pattern, Central frieze with decorative motifs showing Renaissance influence.
C19 embattled top beam. Nave: pulpit, late C17 on C19 base, taken from
Faversham parish church. Pentagonal with enriched bolection moulded panels with
festoons over and ribboned festoons along arrises of each panel. Moulded
cornice, and 3 semi-circular steps to rear. Box pews, extended into south
aisle and incorporating late medieval benches with poppy heads and hollow
chamfered end moulding. South aisle: cusped piscina with ogee head and
animal head finial. Tomb recess with segmental arch, embattled cornice and
attached shafts, with tomb chest and brass, 24" of Richard de Feversham, d.1381,
C15 font, hollow octagonal bowl with decorated panels. C13 parish chest,
wooden, with incised trefoil-headed arcade, and cross-hatched decorated iron
flanges on lid. North aisle: cusped ogee headed piscina; recess cut out of
north-east corner. Some medieval floor tiles. Brasses: mutilated examples
in south aisle. Joan de Feverham and son, d.1360, 14" half figures. Judge
John Martyn, d.1436. 56" figures of Justice of Common Pleas and his wife
under double canopy. He holds an inscribed heart, she has a lap dog at her
feet. Glass: C14 fragments in north aisle east window, C15 fragments in
chancel south-west window (See B.O.E. Kent II 1983 337-8).
Listing NGR: TR0519062470
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings