This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3078 / 51°18'27"N
Longitude: 0.9612 / 0°57'40"E
OS Eastings: 606491
OS Northings: 160681
OS Grid: TR064606
Mapcode National: GBR SW6.XH5
Mapcode Global: VHKJX.MD09
Entry Name: Church of St Michael
Listing Date: 24 January 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1069116
English Heritage Legacy ID: 176734
Location: Hernhill, Swale, Kent, ME13
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
TR 06 SE HERNHILL HERNHILL GREEN
24.1.67 St. Michael
Parish Church. C15. Chancel rebuilt 1833, restored 1867; nave restored 1877. Chancel, north chapel, nave with aisles and south east chapel,
western tower and north porch. Flint and plain tiled roof. Two stage
western tower with plinth, string course, cornice and battlements with
four times offset diagonal buttresses and south-eastern octagonal stair
turret. Double hollow chamfered western doorway. Roll and hollow chamfer
north porch doorway with rib and stud door, and interior doorway with
hollow chamfer and octagonal attached shafts. Perpendicular C15 tracery
throughout, part restored. Stone over east window with inscription:
Interior: double hollow chamfered tower arch and attached shafts with
octagonal capitals. Three bay nave arcade with slim shafts in clusters of
4, with moulded capitals and bases. Double hollow chamfered arcade deeply
undercut. Chamfered doorway to stair turret. Roof of 4 crown posts, the
end 2 with shortened posts. North aisle with corbel table, cornice and
rafter roof, south aisle with roof of 3 crown posts. No chancel arch.
Moulded archway through the south east chapel. C19 arch to north (Dawes)
chapel. Fitting: four centred arched doors and stair to missing rood
left. C15 screen of 5 bays with traceried bays attached shafts and
crocketted ogee surrounds, and C19 top section. Chamfered piscina and
aumbrey in south aisle. C18 brass chandelier of 12 sticks. Glass: South
aisle, C18 window heads, and 3 painted panels, the storey of Joseph, signed
C. Handley, 1836 (the Vicar's wife]. In the churchyard are buried John
Nichols Thom alias Sir William Courteney, and 6 of his followers, all
killed in the Courteney Riots of 1838. (See B.O.E. Kent II, 1983, 391).
Listing NGR: TR0656060805
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings