Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.315 / 51°18'53"N
Longitude: 0.8223 / 0°49'20"E
OS Eastings: 596776
OS Northings: 161100
OS Grid: TQ967611
Mapcode National: GBR RTP.JPG
Mapcode Global: VHKJV.66KS
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Location: Norton, Buckland and Stone, Swale, Kent, ME9
Parish: Norton, Buckland and Stone
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Listing Date: 24 January 1967
Source: Historic England
English Heritage Legacy ID: 176457
Source ID: 1069252
TQ 96 SE NORTON AND BUCKLAND
1/51 Church of
Parish church. C12 to C14. Tower repaired C18, restored and
porch added 1872. Flint, in part rendered, with tufa quoins,
red brick buttresses and plain tiled roof. Chancel, nave,
west tower and south porch. Tower with brick buttresses, keyed
brick belfry lights and battlements. Overlapping plank door
with strap-hinges with veined decoration in chamfered doorways
and C14 timbered porch. C14 trefoil headed lancet windows with
ogee surrounds and partly restored C13 triple lancet windows
with ogee doorway. Interior: Nave and chancel roofed as one
with scissor braced roof. C19 cruck-type wooden chancel arch.
Reveals of blocked C13 and C12 lancets in nave and chancel.
Chancel east window with triple headed but continuous drip
mould. C19 altar rail and fittings. Monuments: in Chancel,
Baptist Piggot, d.1677. Grey Marble wall plaque, with scrolled
and garlanded sides, on base with consoles and swags. Scrolled
pediment over with cartouche. Benjamin Godfrey, d.1704 (son-
in-law of Baptist Piggot) wall tablet. Urn at top with gar-
lands, on plinth, with plaque below supported by weeping putti
either side. Gadrooned base to plaque on coved cornice on
foliated consoles. Below, the inscription on a cloth, gathered
up and hung from erupting palm fronds. Later inscription to
Reverend William Lushington (d.1842) on upper plaque. In the
nave: Right Hon. Mary Elizabeth Lady Sondes, d.1818, by
Jonathan Seward. White wall plaque, a robed woman rising
through clouds to blazing sun, directed by winged angels,
with Hebrew characters and various symbols - apple tree,
flaming torch, bag of gold, eagle, deaths head and cornucopia.
George Finch, d.1584. White hanging monument. Gadrooned and
fluted surround to inscription on coved and gadrooned base.
Corinthian columns carry frieze, modillion eaves cornice
and achievement. Charles Tassel, d.1763. White and yellow
wall plaque, with scrolled and garlanded sides with triple
projecting cornice and base with winged head.
(See BOE Kent II 1983, 408)
Listing NGR: TQ9701860488
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings