This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2961 / 51°17'46"N
Longitude: 0.729 / 0°43'44"E
OS Eastings: 590358
OS Northings: 158760
OS Grid: TQ903587
Mapcode National: GBR QSF.R3T
Mapcode Global: VHKJS.LP87
Entry Name: Church of St Mary and the Holy Cross
Listing Date: 24 January 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1069286
English Heritage Legacy ID: 176335
Location: Milstead, Swale, Kent, ME9
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
TQ 95 NW MILSTEAD RAWLING STREET
4/126 Church of St Mary and
the Holy Cross
Parish church. C12-13 chancel, C15 nave and west tower. Restored and
enlarged 1872 by William Butterfield. Flint and plaster with plain
tiled roofs. West tower, aisleless nave, chancel with south and north
chapels south porch. Two stage tower with string course and cornice
to balllements and north-west octagonal vice. Double chamfered west
doorway, with 2 light C15 Perp. windows and belfry lights. Nave on
plinth with 2 light Perp. windows north and south. C19 half-timber
and weatherboard south porch, with C15 double hinged door (i.e. half-leaf
or entire door opens) in double hollow chamfered surround. Three
eastern chapels all Cl9 exterior though lancers in chancel are original.
Interior: short nave with hollow chamfered tower arch surround with
attached shafts and octagonal capitals, with chamfered arch. Roof of
3 crown posts the easternmost shortened to raise over chancel arch,
on flat, heavilu moulded ties. Chancel arch with double hollow chamfer
on octagonal responds with corbels on inner face (for a lost rood screen
probably). Chancel, originally 2 bays, with chapels added to north and
south c.1200. Two bay araced to north, with round pier, square moulded
abacus chamfered at the corners, with debased upright acanthus leaves in
pairs, fillet rolls on arches, and corbel tables on responds. This is all
identical to and by the same hand as work in Bapchild, Doddington, Frinsted
and Murston (see Bapchild: Church of St Lawrence). Chancel extended east-
wards 2 bays in later C13 - the original quoins visible internally. Paired
lancets north and south, the reveals of the 2 westerly taken down to floor
level, with drip moulds. Renewed windows, C19 wagon roof. Mutilated
capitals to south arch with the paired upright leaf motif and nook shafts
all that survives of pre-Butterfield date in south chapel. The north chapel
is also entirely Butterfield (or B.O.E. Kent II Suggest R.C. Hussey c.1855).
Fittings: sedile and piscina ensuite in chancel with double chamfered
surround. Painted tryptych reredos, altar rails, glass add date from 1870's,
as do 2 wrought iron lamp stands, 7 feet high with giled details. In the
nave, the pulpit, lectern, benches, wrought iron screen to tower and
octagonal font are all likewise persumably by Butterfield. Monuments:
marble and cast iron wall plaques to various C19 members to the Tylden
family in the north chapel, two of note, Elizabeth Tylden d.1839, tablet
with bust; William and Richard Tylden d.1854 and 1855, by R.C. Hussey.
Two tabernacles crocketted with attached marble shafts, integrated with
double lancet windows with moulded surrounds and attached shafts above the
monument. Smaller, plainer copy to left to Charlotte Tylden d.1858. (See
B.O.E. Kent II, 388).
Listing NGR: TQ9041058818
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings