History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Parish Church of St Mary the Virgin

A Grade II* Listed Building in Dover, Kent

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1259 / 51°7'33"N

Longitude: 1.313 / 1°18'46"E

OS Eastings: 631920

OS Northings: 141516

OS Grid: TR319415

Mapcode National: GBR X2Z.8SY

Mapcode Global: VHLHB.QY0Q

Entry Name: The Parish Church of St Mary the Virgin

Listing Date: 30 June 1949

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1069522

English Heritage Legacy ID: 177725

Location: Dover, Dover, Kent, CT16

County: Kent

District: Dover

Parish: Dover

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Listing Text


685/2/25 CANNON STREET
30-JUN-49 (Northeast side)
The Parish Church of St Mary the Virgin

II*

Parish Church. Built on the site of some Roman Baths and a Saxon
church on the site mentioned in Domesday Book, but the oldest part of the
present structure is Norman. Early C12 west tower and four bays of the arcades but aisles, remainder of the nave and chancel by J C and C Buckler in Early English style. Built of flint with stone dressings. West tower is square of five stages surmounted by spire with weathervane. Arcading on the west face, increasingly rich towards the top. Colonnettes with block capitals, arches with a series of scallops. Plain renewed west doorway with shafts. Aisles have lancet windows. Most stained glass windows were lost during the Second War.
INTERIOR: Tower arch with recessed shafts and a roll. The three west bays of the Norman nave arcades are early C12 and a further bay is almost contemporary but has a simpler base moulding. Round piers, scallop capitals and square abaci. C13 stained glass window to gallery. Norman octagonal Purbeck stone font bowl but remainder renewed. 1638 brass and a good series of C18 wall monuments. The remainder of the nave, aisles and chancel are of 1843-4. C19 pews.

[Buildings of England "North East and East Kent" Revised 1983 pp 297-8.]

2

Listing NGR: TR3192041516

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.