History in Structure

Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!

Church of St Martin

A Grade II* Listed Building in Great Mongeham, Kent

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2145 / 51°12'52"N

Longitude: 1.3581 / 1°21'29"E

OS Eastings: 634619

OS Northings: 151505

OS Grid: TR346515

Mapcode National: GBR X1W.VJV

Mapcode Global: VHLGZ.HQ9T

Entry Name: Church of St Martin

Location: Great Mongeham, Dover, Kent, CT14

County: Kent

District: Dover

Parish: Great Mongeham

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Listing Date: 1 June 1949

Last Amended: 8 February 1974

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

English Heritage Legacy ID: 177235

Source ID: 1069782

Listing Text

GREAT MONGEHAM

860/6/150 NORTHBOURNE ROAD
01-JUN-49 Church of St Martin

(Formerly listed as:
NORTHBOURNE ROAD
CHURCH OF ST MARTIN)
(Formerly listed as:
CHURCH HILL
CHURCH OF ST MARTIN)

II*

Parish church. C12, C13, C14 and C15, much restored by William Butterfield in 1851. Built of flint with stone quoins and dressings and plaintiled roofs. Nave with north and south aisles and clerestorey, chancel with chapels, and west tower. Four stage Perpendicular West tower with buttresses and crenellated parapet. Norman window to west half of north chapel shows early origin of church but aisled nave and chancel with chapels are early C13 restored circa 1851 with south aisle rebuilt by Butterfield. C14 nave clerestorey. North Porch with tiled roof. Some pre-Butterfield lancets in south chapel. Traceried windows and some double lancets. Chancel and north chapel have east windows of 1861.
INTERIOR: Three bay arcades with rectangular piers and pointed arches both slightly chamfered. Restored Crown post roof. Roof has panels with quatrefoil carving. Perpendicular tower screen. C13 piscina and 2 sedilia. Jacobean wall monument to Edward Crayford Esq, d.1615. Pulpit of 1851, probably by Butterfield. Chancel furnishings also Butterfield.

[Buildings of England "North East and East Kent" ps 338-339.]


Listing NGR: TR3461951504

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.