This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2594 / 51°15'34"N
Longitude: 0.8849 / 0°53'5"E
OS Eastings: 601387
OS Northings: 155096
OS Grid: TR013550
Mapcode National: GBR SWP.VZT
Mapcode Global: VHKK2.9L5W
Entry Name: Church of St Leonard
Listing Date: 24 January 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1069922
English Heritage Legacy ID: 176872
Location: Badlesmere, Swale, Kent, ME13
Civil Parish: Badlesmere
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
TR 05 NW SHELDWICH BADLESMERE
1/74 Church of St Leonard
Parish church. C13 and early C19. Flint, entirely rendered and channelled
except on part of nave north wall. Plain tiled roof. Chancel, nave, south
porch and west tower. C19 west end, with chamfered Gothick lancets, and
double chamfered west doorway to tower-cum-porch, with louvred belfry.
Battlemented south porch. Chancel with offset corner buttresses, 2 east
lancets and C14 ogee headed north window. North nave and chancel wall is
inset 3 times with exposed quoins, the chancel roof also stepped - evidence
of previous greater size of church. Interior: west tower intrudes into nave;
nave roof of 2 large moulded crown posts, chancel roof of 3 spindly crown
posts. No chancel arch, but chancel stepped in from nave, and north chancel
wall stepped in, with exposed jambs of arcade to lost chapel. Fittings:
complete set of C18 box pews with raised and fielded panels, the rear set
raised in tiers. Integral 2-tier pulpit with ramped hand rail and panelling.
C18 altar rail with turned balusters and square knops and moulded dado
panelling to sanctuary and reredos with ball flower finial and inscriptions.
C15 bench ends incorporated into C18 Choir stalls; linenfold panels, with
emblem of Trinity on one end and Star and Garter on the other end. Inscribed
to and made for Sir Richard Badlesmere, 1415. C15 octagonal font; plain
with C17 wooden font cover. Royal coat of Arms 1717, and large hatchment on
south wall. Six Tugged inscription boards in nave. The whole is remarkably
unrestored and unusually so for this part of Kent.(See B.0.E. Kent II, 1983,
Listing NGR: TR0162256679
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings