This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1137 / 51°6'49"N
Longitude: 1.2537 / 1°15'13"E
OS Eastings: 627827
OS Northings: 139972
OS Grid: TR278399
Mapcode National: GBR W1R.5RM
Mapcode Global: VHLHH.P84K
Entry Name: Church of St Lawrence
Listing Date: 22 August 1962
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1070024
English Heritage Legacy ID: 178600
Location: Hougham Without, Dover, Kent, CT15
Parish: Hougham Without
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
TR 23 NE HOUGHAM CHURCH LANE
Church of St.
Parish church. C12 in origin, C13 north aisle, restored 1866 by J.
Messenger. Flint, with some rubble stone, with plain tiled roof, the
north aisle roof slated. Chancel, nave with north aisle, south chapel,
western tower and south porch. Two stage tower, the ground floor north,
east and south walls original, the west front and first floor of 1866.
Tiled broach spire. Lancets throughout, largely Cl9, except to north
chancel wall and north nave aisles the east windows of latter with
moulded hood surrounds on string course. Restored south porch with
chamfered doorway and blocked north doorway. Interior: C12 tower arch,
semi-circular, plain double rebated on barely moulded abaci. Nave with
2 bay arcade to north aisle, with double chamfered arches on round pier
and responds with simple octagonal capitals and bases. Plain semi-
circular headed arch to south chapel, with mutilated arched recess to
east. No chancel arch, but rood door to upper north wall; chancel stepped
in. Roof of 4 crude octagonal crown posts. South chapel with lean-to
roof, and containing vestry. North aisle with north lancets with undercut
and moulded hooded heads, with sprig-based springers. Triple east window
with attached columns, double keeled moulded surrounds and hood mould.
Original roof of 3 king posts. Chancel with blocked 2 bay south arcade,
C12, to lost south chapel, with lipped arches on round pier and responds
with scalloped capitals. C19 east triple lancet, and trussed rafter
roof. Fittings: largely C19 but with small mutilated piscina in nave;
restored square, arcaded font bowl on C19 5 stem base. Old floor surfaces
of marble slabs and pantiles survive on large areas. Monuments: set in
floor by south tower respond, a medieval tomb chest. with Calvary cross,
Bottonee. Will Hanington, d.1607 hanging wall monument of partially
painted marble and alabaster. Double arcade with Will and Wife facing
each other over prayer desk, behind him 4 of his 5 sons, behind her 3
daughters and 2 shrouded girls ("as soone blasted as blowne"). Base with
winged cherubs left and right and below inscription apron. Three coats
of arms over, the centre with ribband enrichment. Peter Nepieu.Gent:
d.1658, monument erected 1735 and by Sir Henry Cheere. Standing wall
monument. Base with acanthus moulded plinth bearing inscription flanked
by recessed panels with skulls crossed bones and ribbons. Moulded base
to gadrooned casket on lion's feet, and over a portrait bust of Peter
dressed in C17 dress, Obelisk shaped background festooned and with
scalloped cartouche. Coat of Arms of Queen Anne in north aisle. (See
B.O.E. Kent II, 1983, p.357 and p.107).
Listing NGR: TR2793040029
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings