History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter

A Grade II* Listed Building in St. Margaret's At Cliffe, Kent

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1542 / 51°9'15"N

Longitude: 1.3573 / 1°21'26"E

OS Eastings: 634875

OS Northings: 144802

OS Grid: TR348448

Mapcode National: GBR X2N.G10

Mapcode Global: VHLHC.G8Y0

Entry Name: Church of St Peter

Listing Date: 22 August 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1070033

English Heritage Legacy ID: 178517

Location: St. Margaret's At Cliffe, Dover, Kent, CT15

County: Kent

District: Dover

Parish: St. Margaret's At Cliffe

Locality: St Margaret's At Cliffe

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Listing Text

TR 34 SW ST MARGARETS AT CLIFFE WESTCLIFFE

5/78 Church of
22.8.66 St. Peter

GV II*

Parish church. C12 and C14 tower. Chancel restored 1873. Flint and
rubble, irregularly coursed, with plain tiled roof. Chancel, nave and
south tower. Two storey tower, also used as porch, with priests room over
porch, with trefoiled single lights. Single light slightly pointed
windows throughout, some restored exterior jambs. Restored C15 west
window, replacing blocked triple lancet composition. Poor C19 east
window (Early English style). Interior: blocked north door and semi-
circular recess in south nave wall. All window reveals original. Nave
roof of 4 crown posts. Large double chamfered chancel arch on round
responds, with worn crocketed capitals. Stepped in chancel with restored
crown post roof. Fittings: C19 in chancel and font. C18 box pews, with
Wallets Court pew opposite pulpit clearly distinguished and raised and
fielded panelled hexagonal pulpit. Movable benches in centre aisle, C17
Royal Arms painting on nave north wall. (See BOE Kent II 1983, 491; see
also church guide, 1938 + 1982).


Listing NGR: TR3502844826

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.