This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1655 / 51°9'55"N
Longitude: 1.3358 / 1°20'8"E
OS Eastings: 633310
OS Northings: 145980
OS Grid: TR333459
Mapcode National: GBR X2F.VZ5
Mapcode Global: VHLH5.3YJY
Entry Name: Church of St Augustine
Listing Date: 23 April 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1070054
English Heritage Legacy ID: 178465
Location: Langdon, Dover, Kent, CT15
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
TR 34 NW LANGDON EAST LANGDON
2/26 Church of St.
Parish church Cll to C12, with C14-C15 fenestration, C16 north porch and
restored and tower built 1892 by Loftus Brock. Flint with ragstone
tower, and plain tiled roof. Chancel, nave and south aisle, north porch
and west tower. Two stage tower with triple offset angle buttresses,
battlements and spirelet,south aisle with restored simple pointed
windows, blocked south doorway with elliptical head. Chancel stepped
in, with trilobed lancets to north and south and C15 east window of 2
lights with quatrefoil over. Two light ogee-traceried square headed
window and round headed lancet in nave, with red brick north porch in
English bond, the details of moulded brickwork now picked out heavily
and cemented with flint panelled plinths,quoins, corbelled eaves and
kneelered gable with aedicule and ribband decoration. Chamfered door
surround and mullioned side windows. Restored C12 doorway with voussoir
with chevron moulding and C18 panelled door. Interior C19 tower arch
with chamfered surround to hollow moulded arch on corbels. Nave with
C12 2 bay south arcade and round responds with scalloped capitals, the
centre pier and the arches being C12 rebuilt. The arcade cuts through
an earlier Cll/C12 window, a pair to the round headed window to north
wall south aisle,with original reveals to pointed arched windows.C19
tie beam and collar braced nave roof. Chancel arch C12 with wave and
roll moulded arch on abaci with guilloche pattern to south, key pattern
to north and responds with nook shafts. Arched opening from chancel to
south aisle given classical effect (C16?) by addition of keystone and
imposts.C19 trussed rafter roof. Fittings simple round headed piscina
and aumbrey in north wall in chancel, octagonal C15 font on pillared
base of 1892, the bowl moulded with stylised leaf and half angel figures.
C16 hourglass bracket on chancel arch respond, of wrought iron with
twisted stem and trumpet. Flower bracket with scrolled body and cage
containing hourglass. Royal Arms, painting on north wall of 1801, brass
about 9" high C16 to a lady of the Master family, refitted on a stone on
south chancel wall. Monument, Thomas Marsh d.1634. Large wall tablet
in chancel, with grey plaque with gilt lettering in veined white marble
surround, with scrolled apron. Festooned base and floriate side scrolls
with broken segmental pediment and embroidered with Annunciation scene
and C14 devices re-used here. (See BOE Kent II 1983 305-6).
Listing NGR: TR3320646164
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings