This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1745 / 51°10'28"N
Longitude: 1.3267 / 1°19'36"E
OS Eastings: 632634
OS Northings: 146960
OS Grid: TR326469
Mapcode National: GBR X2F.687
Mapcode Global: VHLH4.YQ8Z
Entry Name: Langdon Abbey
Listing Date: 27 August 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1070055
English Heritage Legacy ID: 178468
Location: Langdon, Dover, Kent, CT15
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
TR 34 NW LANGDON LANGDON ABBEY
2/29 Langdon Abbey
House. C12, C16 and late C17 altered mid C19. Built for Thornhill family
on remains of Premonstratensian priory. Red brick in irregular Flemish,
stretcher bond and English bond, with flint and dressed stone sections to
rear. Plain tiled roof. Entrance front; late C17, 2 storeys and basement
with plinth,plat band and boxed eaves to hipped roof, with stacks to
left, centre left and to right. C19 fenestration, regular to right hand
of elevations, with 2 tripartite sashes and central segmentally headed
sash, and 2 tripartite sashes on ground floor with central door
of 6 panels with semi-circular fanlight in rendered rusticated surround.
The left hand portion has 1 sash on each floor in blocked larger window
openings, and door of 4 raised and fielded panels with simple architrave.
Four segmentally headed basement openings. Rear elevation: L-shaped 2
storey hipped structure in English bond with brick arcading of giant
pilasters carried across whole facade and projecting wing. The main wing
with keyed and blocked arches on ground floor, now filled in, so as to
form 3 bay portico effect, an unusually advanced classical feature in the
east Kent Artisan Mannerist vocabulary. Projecting from the left hand
projecting wing is 1 storey extension of stone blocks with galleting,
the return wall of this wing is rebuilt in C18 brickwork. Interior:
rear wings with large scantling joists. Chamfered and stopped with quirk
and tongue. Some fitted cupboards and doors with raised and fielded
panelling, most features date from mid C19. Cellars: the undercroft of
the cellarium of the C12 abbey form the basis of the C17 cellars,
including a barrel vaulted slype with finely gauged chalk, webbing, the
main range at right angles to this, with the springers for groin vaults
surviving, with chamfered arched and round headed stone doorways. Domed
bread oven C18 survives in stone end wing. Langdon Abbey was founded by
William d'Auberville of Westernhanger 1189-1192 for white canons from
Leyston Suffolk. Dedicated to St. Mary and St. Thomas the Martyr, the
Abbey (strictly only a priory) had an uneventful history until dissolution
in 1535. A house was built by Samuel Thornhill after 1590 and extended
by his successors until 1700, when sold to Waldershare estate. The church
and conventual remains lay east of the house, excavated and back
covered 1882 by Sir William St. John Hope. (See Arch Cant. 15, 1883;
Hasted, IX; BOE Kent II 1983, 369).
Listing NGR: TR3263446960
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings