This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2637 / 51°15'49"N
Longitude: 1.2515 / 1°15'5"E
OS Eastings: 626936
OS Northings: 156641
OS Grid: TR269566
Mapcode National: GBR VZT.R79
Mapcode Global: VHLGQ.MHZL
Entry Name: Church of St James
Listing Date: 11 October 1963
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1070137
English Heritage Legacy ID: 178268
Location: Staple, Dover, Kent, CT3
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
TR 25 NE STAPLE THE STREET
5/236 Church of
Parish Church. C12 origins, C14 fenestration, restored by Street 1868-9.
Flint with plain tiled roofs. Chancel and nave in one build, north aisle
to nave, north chapel to chancel, south porch and west tower. Two stage
tower with offset clasping buttresses, string course and battlements.
Lancet windows in upper stage, moulded western doorway with attached
shafts. Nave and chancel with 5 offset buttresses, largely C19, and C19
south porch, with C16 six panelled and ribbed door. Chancel east window
C.1300, 5 cinquefoiled lights under hood mould, 1 small lancet to chancel
south wall, C14 and C15 style windows elsewhere, as much Street's
restorations as original. Large brick buttress between nave and tower to
north west. Interior: unmoulded pointed tower arch with scalloped wall
brackets set in wall to left and right. North arcade of 3 bays, C15, with
double chamfered arches, piers with clustered shafts, and responds with
attached shafts. Nave and chancel roof in one build, 6 crown posts in nave
and 2 in chancel on moulded knee-braces. North aisle with lean-to roof on
crenellated wall plate and moulded cross-beams. Single arch with double
chamfer from chancel to north chapel, with C19 side doorway. Braced rafter
roof in north chapel. Fittings: trecusped piscina and small trecusped
aumbry on north wall in chancel. C16 screen from north aisle to chapel, 4
bays with solid lower panels on either side of central restored door.
Crenellated top beam. C15 font on double stepped base, octagonal bowl and
stem, the bowl decorated with symbols of 4 evangelists alternating with
demi-angels, pilgrim and the Trinity. Stem with lions and wild men.
Ornate chandelier of brass and possibly wood in tower. Monuments: in the
chapel a good series. Identical pair of tablets to John Lynch d.1732, with
white plaque and grey marble surround, fluted Doric pilasters with frieze
and open pediment with achievement over. Oval wall tablets to Lynch family
with moulded surrounds and acanthus motifs, and to John Squire, d.1661.
John Clarke, 1691, wall tablet with draped and foliated scrolled sides, egg
and tongue frieze and cornice and scrolled base with crossed olive sprigs.
William Lynch, d.1785. Wall plaque on brackets with coat of arms as base.
Ribboned portrait medallion, on base decorated with star and ribbon of
Order of Bath. In the north aisle, large white marble wall plaque to
Gratianus Lynch, d.1674, with architectural surround, black marble Ionic
columns and foliated scrolls with open segmental pediment and achievement,
all on enriched bracketed base. Tablets with draped urns, to Reverend
William Tatton, d.1782, and Terry Marsh, d.1789, both by Longley of
Canterbury. Brass: in north chapel, about 2 foot high brass of a civilian,
early C16. (See B.O.E. Kent II, 1983, 466).
Listing NGR: TR2673656692
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings