This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2967 / 51°17'48"N
Longitude: 1.2425 / 1°14'33"E
OS Eastings: 626149
OS Northings: 160284
OS Grid: TR261602
Mapcode National: GBR VZF.NYY
Mapcode Global: VHLGJ.HN7S
Entry Name: Elmstone Church (Dedication Unknown)
Listing Date: 11 October 1963
Last Amended: 26 November 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1070154
English Heritage Legacy ID: 178212
Location: Preston, Dover, Kent, CT3
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
TR 26 SE PRESTON ELMSTONE
Parish church. C12, remodelled and extended early C14, restored externally
1878 and generally 1900. Flint with plain tiled roof. Chancel, nave and
north aisle, north-west tower and south porch. Two cell Romanesque church,
small round headed lights on nave south and chancel north walls. Ogee headed
lancets, paired ogee headed lights in north aisle. Restored 3 light Y-
traceried west window, and east window. Buttresses to tower, chancel and
north aisle. Interior: 3 bay north arcade, with double chamfered arches on
octagonal piers with moulded capitals and bases. Westernmost arch (to tower)
pinched, and repeated in north aisle. Nave and chancel with one (C19) roof.
Lean-to aisle roof. Chancel stepped in, no chancel arch. Fittings: small
square piscina in north aisle and piscina/water stoup by south door. Bench
and reading desk in chancel, fashioned from late medieval bench ends with
simple poppyheads. Font, C12 or C13, with Bethersden marble bowl, round at
top, made square at base by anvil-shaped corner piers. Base of 5 simple
shafts. All other fittings C19. Monuments: Robert Jaques, d.1671, a
gentleman of Luton. Standing wall monument on white and black marble bench-
like base. Voluted urn-shaped side pieces and bay-leaf pattern frieze with
segmental pediment and draped cartouche. White marble inscription plaque
with gold acanthus surround. Topped by portrait bust, antique-styled drapery.
(See B.O.E. Kent II 1983, 313).
Listing NGR: TR2614960284
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings